PayPal fraud easy to do & nothing we can do about it.

Lance6
Contributor
Contributor

At the beginning of December my partner sold a canadian goose coat on eBay it was brand new and was £700, at buyers request it was sent to there local shop. A couple of weeks later they requested a return because the fur was messy. She does not normally accept returns but at the request of eBay she accepted the return as a sign of goodwill. Three weeks later a parcel arrived with the senders address scribbled off, inside the box was a cheap flimsy Armani fake. Guessing it might be a con from the buyer of the coat she contacted Ebay gave them all the details and waited for a reply. To be fair they were brilliant and rang the next day to say it was fraud and they banned him from the site. But they said he had now tried to get a refund off PayPal so to contact them and tell them what’s happened which is what she did. After explaining what had happened the lady said to email her the details and also send to action fraud. So this is what she proceeded to do, the lady said she would handle this personally for us and let us know how it goes. After 7-10 days she had not been in touch so my partner rang PayPal again to be told they had no record of the case. What a farce my partner then asked to speak to a manager to complain. The man that came on said because the lady does not work for them she was from another department or company they had no record so he apologised and asked her to send all the details again and he would personally handle this and be in touch. Anyway there was a problem formatting the info on the case into the correct format. So she had to send them rather painfully one by one as a photo of documentation. It was so tiresome she rang PayPal again to check she wasn’t wasting her time and they was receiving them to be told yes they were coming through so she proceeded and sent them all. Two to three weeks later after no contact at all the £700 went from her paypal. So in a complete state of shock and absolutely fuming she rang PayPal and asked to speak to a manager again, she was put through to Yasmin in fraud at the Newcastle branch and after explaining the details she said don’t worry you will get your money back and to hang on the line. After 10 to 15 minutes she returned to say because we sent no details over they returned his money and there was nothing we can do about it so now shaking with rage she asked to speak to a manager again and what was is his name. She rather flippantly said is name is Daves but there is no point he will say exactly the same and there is nothing we can do about it. That may be true but I am going to let everyone I can know that PayPal are open to fraud and because there is know choice in online banking for eBay they can act like like playground bullies and stamp all over sellers. Sellers protection! What an absolute joke so please beware and don’t send any expensive sales to a shop always insist on their home address, be careful thanks Lance

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Rattler1
Contributor
Contributor

It's the typical ebay/ Paypal **bleep** the sellers.  I sold  a guitar and Fedex overcharged for the shipping. So ebay tells me to call Fedex that there is nothing they can do. So I call Fedex an they refund it all. Problem is ebay says that it will take 2 billing cycles to go back on my account.  So they will have to bill me the whole invoice amount ($77.xx) even though Fedex has refunded my shipping ($52.xx) to ebay on Jan 22, 2019. I have sold and bought on there starting back in 2003 but it looks like I will be parting ways with both of the.  

Login to Me Too

Lance6
Contributor
Contributor

It is true Ebay and PayPal treat the sellers as the lowest of the low. Although Ebay for once were excellent this time it’s just PayPal that **bleep**. I wish there were alternatives to both companies but unfortunately they have the monopoly.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lance6

Well no there was no seller protection because you negated it by sending to another address and not to the paypal registered address of the buyer. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lance6
Contributor
Contributor
I don’t know if you use them but the buyer can click and collect at a shop obviously this is not their home address. So if what your saying is correct why do Ebay offer the option to click and collect if you then have no sellers protection.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lance6

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and 2 separate policies for buyer disputes.

If your buyer bought an item on Ebay and it was click and collect then it would be recorded that that is where the buyer wanted the item delivered.

However if you sold privately and accepted paypal then you would have to send to the paypal registered address of the buyer for seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rattler1
Contributor
Contributor

Well it doesn't give ebay the excuse to hold a refund from Fedex for 2 billing cycles about 2 1/2 months than bill me for the whole invoice of $77.xx when Fedex refuned $52.xx of the $77.xx.  Than I call Paypal and ask them to hold payment on the invoice and was told that they would hold paying the invoice until I ok payment on it but Paypal imeantly payed it. So much for PayPal's great support. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.