My scammed story, good ending

michael_dr
Contributor
Contributor

On January 29, I purchased a set of plastic bins from an online store for $50. This store seemed to be the only one carrying them, and we needed them to match our existing plastic bins so they fit together (stacking and nesting), so I took a chance even though it was unknown.

On February 11 I received a small 2 inch x 2 inch zipper pouch in a bubble envelope that appeared to come from China. I set it aside not knowing what it was, but later I checked and the tracking number matched up with what Paypal showed for the tracking.

Then I realized this was probably a scam. I thought Paypal was pretty good for this kind of thing, protecting the buyer. So I wasn't worried. I took a bunch of photos of the package and the item.

I tried contacting the seller by email later that same day, but got no response.

After a couple days then I "reported a problem" and started that process. I included 10 images including a screenshot of my email to the seller, screenshots of the website that I purchased the item from and what the item should have been, the tracking number that Paypal showed, the shipping label showing tracking of the received item (matching tracking, different item), my Paypal receipt, etc.

Paypal emailed me on February 22 - "You've received a full refund offer from [Chinese characters, not allowed by Paypal community software]"

Ok, that sounds good. But... "[Chinese characters, not allowed by Paypal community software] has agreed to issue a full refund of $46.91 USD, once you return the item(s) associated with this transaction."

I researched, including reading some posts in this community. It sounded like my only hope was to send the item back and provide a tracking number to Paypal. It seemed like a gamble to pay more money in hopes of getting back the original amount. I have to ship back to China this $1 item that was supposed to be a $50 item and then maybe I will get my $50 back.

But I gave it a try. I actually found I could enable "shipping on us" and was later refunded the $18 shipping cost thankfully. I took photos as I shipped it back.

I ran into a problem because the return shipping address provided was all in Chinese characters. When I used that when creating a USPS shipping label, it would not let me submit. Apparently they don't accept Chinese characters. I was forced to use Google Translate to convert the address value. I was hoping here because I know that might not be perfect. I had read that all they really needed was a tracking number so hopefully it would still work, but I still made the effort hoping it was going to the right place. The translate actually came out with a Shenzhen address, so that's good, and I even put it into Google Maps.

So I shipped that, submitted the tracking info to Paypal, and also submitted screenshots of my payment to USPS as the Paypal person required, a PDF of the shipping label, a photo of the item with the label and then the package with the label attached. I even included screenshots showing the Google translation. I emailed with the Paypal returns person (an actual person, wow). I told her on February 23 when I dropped it off at the post office and emailed the receipt from USPS.

They then approved my shipping refund on February 25, so that was nice. I received another email saying I received the refund on March 2. At least I'm not out the extra money trying to ship this back.

On April 6, Paypal sent an email saying they received additional information and are waiting on the seller to provide more information. Then on April 11, they said they were denying the claim - "We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because we did not receive valid proof or tracking that you returned the merchandise." The top of the claim on Paypal's site says "The case was closed in the receiver's favor as the proof of return you provided was invalid."

I checked the tracking on my return package and USPS showed it was "In-Transit" still and was at the "LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER" since March 6. It actually looks like it has been to both San Francisco and Los Angles twice for some reason. It doesn't say anything is wrong, but it must be stuck.

So I guess the seller said they never received the return, and then Paypal denied my claim. I suppose if I had known it was stuck, I could have contacted USPS and dealt with them somehow. But I don't really know if the seller provided a valid address anyway. Could the seller just say it was not delivered to them? I guess Paypal might require the item be shipped back, with the ship-to address provided by the seller, and then also some tracking saying it is delivered. I know many countries don't have tracking that is available to USPS after it has left the United States so I don't know how they would do that. Maybe they just need to see that it has left the United States. Anybody know exactly?

Anyway, it seems like Paypal's practices have enabled this scam. I tried my best following the requirements, but couldn't get the refund. Is there anything left to try?

Well, today I called Paypal, gave the automated system the 6 digit code on the screen from whatever webpage I was on. I agreed to a callback within 11-16 minutes. They called me back and I spoke with a person. Thank goodness you speak with an actual person.

I told him about my dispute a little, he looked over my claim for a minute while I was on hold. Then he came back and said - "I was able to re-open the claim, and closed it in your favor. You will receive full refund. Watch for an email from Paypal about it." Yes!

So I learned the important thing is to talk to a person. Thanks for listening.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

MollyWhitebear
Contributor
Contributor

And, did you actually get the money back though?

When I tried calling them last week, I never could reach a person. There was a recording saying that due to the pandemic no one was live in their customer service center. I had to deal with the stupid bot and after everything, PayPal sided with my scammer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MollyWhitebear 

Guess you didn't bother to read the last 3 paragraphs of the original posters post?

Loads of folks get refunds, you just have to follow the dispute process properly and if not reach out to customer services if there is something you feel they missed when making their decision.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

michael_dr
Contributor
Contributor

@MollyWhitebear 

I got an email from Paypal yesterday saying "You're receiving a refund of $46.91 USD"

I logged into Paypal just now and see there is a refund of my $46.91. It's not in my Paypal balance and there isn't any option to transfer or something. But the employee on the phone said it would take a few days so I'll wait a bit. It looks good from here. I also went back to the Resolution Center and saw my claim and now it said "The case was closed in your favor based on the info provided". Great.

Let me see if I can re-create how I got on the phone with someone. I think I was on the Help Center page (which is https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/home ). I'm using a desktop web browser here, not the mobile app. Then at the bottom under "More ways to get help" I clicked "Contact us". Then, rather than clicking one of the items in the big list of issues, I went down to the bottom again and clicked "Call us".

That gave me a page that showed a 6 digit one-time passcode and the phone number to call. I called, and went through a couple menus. I remember choosing that this was not related to Ebay. The first time I called, it disconnected me shortly after I was put on hold. Then the second time I called, it didn't disconnect me, and it asked if I wanted a call back (within 11-16 minutes), so I said yes. It had me say my name.

Then not long after I got a call that showed as Paypal / Omaha, NE on my phone. I answered and it asked if [my name it had recorded earlier] was on the phone. I said yes, and then after a short hold, a live person was there.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.