Ivory Tower Tech Co - Interesting scam on Lightsabers

Kuddy99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I saw a face book ad for a lovely intricate multi-part metal light saber (I have since seen the same ad under many different companies) for $34.99. I ordered through Paypal because the have "buyer" protection. What actually arrived was a two piece molded plastic, 1.99 kids toy. 

Contacting the seller returned bounced undeliverable and so I lodged a complaint with the resolution center which came back and said I need to ship the POS they sent back to Hong Kong with a tracking number (that's $15).

Is there no way that PP has automated checks on suppliers where many products are being returned? It seems silly there is no way to prevent this and quite frankly the scammers have won because it's not worth my time for the difference (34.99-15) to mail the fraudulent item back.

When I have had similar issues on Amazon, they are on their customer's side - paypal seems to be with the scammers.

Here is the exact same video used to sell the item (this is from a different seller/scammer): 

(looks like i can 't use certain sites videos. If you know google's short URL, add this to it: S8zSdR

Just in case that doesn't work, there are photos of the vid and a photo of what was delivered below. I'll leave you to guess which two are from the video.....

What say you Paypal people?

ls.png

ls2.jpgls3.png

Login to Me Too
55 REPLIES 55

Vaniartistic
Contributor
Contributor
Hi there, I was thinking that maybe PayPal should get us more time to escalate a dispute. I finally got my drum delivered in the mail... it took over a month to arrive... Good I didn't escalate as it would be unfair for the people who get charged with unfair disputes but it would maybe make it up for the other ones?... anyway, I got it... Thanks...
Login to Me Too

REMI_Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Resolution for all within the UK and all those outside the UK if they use the information correctly.

Anything containing lithium ion batteries is basically illegal to send to Hong Kong.  As this is illegal to send them PayPal does not need to demand the product returned to provide a refund.  Contact customer services through the complaints route if your claim has been closed against you.

Login to Me Too

TimmD
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all in this chain for the advice and support. I will contact PayPal next as my communications to Ivory Tower Tech Co.LTD have not been returned.  

Login to Me Too

Mrjjane
Contributor
Contributor
All. Update. Paypal have finally refunded me both of my purchased from this company. Total of $179. I escalated 6 times with the case consistently being closed in the sellers favour. I asked PayPal to explain how they found in their favour when one of the items started 1080p camera and it had NO camera at all. In the end I told PayPal I would be closing down my account paying the balance off less the 2 scan items and asked for an address to send them to PayPal as legally they were their items (PayPal credit account used). In the end I talked to a manager 3 levels up and explained this needed to be resolved today. I went on hold for 2 mins and he informed me he authorised the refunds. Keep on it and keep pestering Paypal they need to take some ownership of this. Took me 6 weeks, opening the case 6 times and 4 hours of phone calls.
Login to Me Too

dmuth68901
Contributor
Contributor

I have much the same story as everyone else. I bought what I thought was a high quality replica of a lightsaber and got a cheap piece of plastic. PayPal has been of no help. After filing a claim and two emails to them they finally tell me about their shipping reimbursement service on the last day I can return the thing. I packed it up and took it to the post office and they tell me they can't do international tracking (which is required for a refund). Thanks for the "protection" PayPal.

Login to Me Too

916senna
Contributor
Contributor

Don’t give up, I worked through the contact us section till i found a number i could call, quoted the case number and was able to explain it all to a human.. what had been a very frustrating process became a lot better and im pretty confident ill be getting a refund. There are a lot of obstacles but stuff them, i wont let them win.

Login to Me Too

Donman911
Contributor
Contributor

SOLVED - (and this post doubles as a test to see if anyone from PP even reads this forum - if they do they should be stopping these scammers but anyway... )

I noticed when PP told me to return the item it said that items above $800 needed proof of acceptance from the seller not just proof the item had been sent. 

I am not saying i did this of course .... but.... that suggests if it is worth less than $800 then you can probably just provide proof that the item was shipped... which suggests you can probably just mail a small envelope to the seller to get a tracking number... in the envelope can be a piece of paper with the words F YOU and some other nasty things to the seller.

Once you update the tracking number in the PP system - your refund will be issued and PP take the cash directly out of the sellers account according to the email confirmation of refund they send...

That seems like win win to me. 

Enjoy getting your own back.

Login to Me Too

GostosoBoo
Contributor
Contributor

You and I think alike....

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Login to Me Too

dcpsmp

I received the same cheap toy saber and am getting NOWHERE with paypal nor the seller for a refund. Who did you finally

@916senna wrote:

Don’t give up, I worked through the contact us section till i found a number i could call, quoted the case number and was able to explain it all to a human.. what had been a very frustrating process became a lot better and im pretty confident ill be getting a refund. There are a lot of obstacles but stuff them, i wont let them win.

get to help you?

Login to Me Too

916senna
Contributor
Contributor

To answer your question I have spoken to several different operators, so knowing which one wont help you.. Just work you way through the contact us till you get to a screen with a phone number and a code you need to give them. I actually found both of the different operators very helpful and sympathetic to both paypals frustrating systems and me wanting to get refunded due to the scam.

I just had my case found in my favour. Took a couple of rejections and a lot of frustration, but once I was talking to someone, rather than using the "system" things improved drastically.

I had to return the item, by a trackable means, and they refused it in Hong Kong. So it was returned to me. I called PP again and they asked me to send them a picture of the package sent and the returned one and gave me a link to do so. They checked the address I sent it to was correct and then found in my favour immediately. They have also emailed me a link to the process to get my shipping costs back.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.