I couldn't get buyer protection from PayPal, Why?

wzis
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a case with paypal a month ago, without checking my email for a few days, it closed the case in favor of the seller. Then when I found that, I emailed paypal to tell them the issue is not resolved, need paypal to get refund for me, but keeps received same type of messages asking me to check the faq, while from the faq, I did try to re-open the case or create a new one, but all failed.

That's very bad.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

wzis
Contributor
Contributor

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wzis 

When you open a 'dispute' on Paypal it is for negotiation between you and the seller to try and resolve any issues.

If you don't resolve things then you have the option to escalate to a 'claim' for Paypal to get involved.

You have 'up to' 20 days to escalate to a claim and if you don't then the dispute will time out...which is what happened it sounds like.

When you open a dispute Paypal sends you an email to confirm you have opened one and in that email it tells you that you have to escalate to a claim within 20 days if you don't get any satisfaction from the seller.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

wzis
Contributor
Contributor

As this is the first time that seller didn't respond with the issue, when I got that email, I got an impression I need to give paypal some time for it helps to communicate with the seller and wait seller's response to get the issue resolved, so I just waited,didn't know I have to escalate it to paypal. The way paypal assumes the issue is resolved is bad, it should at least send several emails to warn user that the case will be closed in favor of the seller, and give several days before closing it: there could be situations that user lost access to internet for a few days, can't check status and reply.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wzis 

Thousands seem to manage ok on a daily basis.

And the email tells you that you must escalate before 20 days is up.

There is also a pop up message in the resolution centre when you open a dispute to say the same.

And as you have 'up to' 20 days to escalate then being away for a few days shouldn't make any difference.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

wzis
Contributor
Contributor

My initial impression was when we open a case with paypal, that means we have already tried to contact the seller to fix the issue, but failed, so the case opened with paypal is for escalation, not something that need 20 days to decide whether need to escalate later.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wzis 

Always best to actually read how things work first.

And no a lot of buyers go straight to a dispute for negotiation as that way all messages to the seller are accessible to read by paypal once its been escalated to a claim.

As I said most people manage this with no problems.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/all-about-disputes-faq4058?app=searchAutoComplete#dispcl...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.