Fraud

bluecob
Contributor
Contributor

How come there are many frauds going around by suppliers with PayPal accounts many of which PayPal are aware of yet they do virtually nothing to protect their customers?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bluecob 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer protection. But its not an insurance or supposed to be, you have to read up on buyer protection and then risk assess your transactions.

Paypal do do something about it but by the time they have a few thousand complaints going in that show the company is high risk and stop them from using paypal they just set up again under another name. As its not against the law in China to sell fakes and very few rules on 'merchants' then they often get away with it.

So you need to recognise them..........

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bluecob
Contributor
Contributor

That is of no use whatsoever.

What is the use of the PayPal protection then?

What you are saying is that it is the buyers responsibility to identify PayPal suppliers who are commiting fraud? How on earth can you do this?

The most annoying thing is that PayPal are aware of the Company that defrauded me yet doing nothing.

In future I will use my Credit Card where there does appear to be some protection.

Thanks for nothing.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bluecob 

Even credit cards have terms and conditions and often refuse refunds for 'items received but not as described' as other posters have already confirmed.

If you funded it via a debit card then you would have 0 protection at all.

So yes you need to risk assess your own transactions, why would you not?

And I can only tell you what paypal offers you and how to recognise the scams, so ...your welcome. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bluecob
Contributor
Contributor

Right.

Take a look at what PayPay advertise their buyer protection as then:

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 12.26.10.jpg

This is exactly what happened to me.

Can I ask, are you speaking on behalf of PayPal or just giving an opinion?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bluecob 

Why would I be speaking on behalf of Paypal anymore than you are?????

I just tell you how it works and how much buyer protection that you are given.

If you buy insurance say 'house insurance' that the company tells you will protect your house from damage then that do you just accept that or do you actually read it to see what coverage you get as it would not cover you for everything, terms and conditions ALWAYS apply.

So always best to actually read up on buyer protection, see what coverage it does and does NOT give you and then risk assess your transactions.

Paypal does not supply insurance, they give you 'some' buyer protection...........best read it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bluecob
Contributor
Contributor

With the greatest respect you know nothing about my case. It falls within PayPal's "Terms" and they have accepted it. What they are now doing is dragging their heels resolving it. As this is a Company that they are well aware of they should be more pro-active. 

If you do not represent PayPal whom I am still awaiting answers to messages then please stay out of it.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bluecob 

Were you expecting an answer from paypal then???

Guess you don't understand the meaning of a COMMUNITY 'user to user' help and advice forum?

No I don't stay 'out of it' as the whole point of this forum is to give advice.

If you want customer services then you have to CONTACT customer services and not post on a COMMUNITY FORUM.

You bought tat from China and either didn't get it or it was as i said tat, not as described.

I have told you how to SPOT the scammers so you don't get caught out in the future AND told you how buyer protection actually works as it appears you have no idea as you didn't bother to read up on it..........so your welcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.