Does PayPal have your back ?

Mouaz1
Contributor
Contributor

I use PayPal since 2011, which is a long time now. I used to think that PayPal has my back. Whenever I want to purchase online, the first option that I will be looking for is paying through PayPal. The impression that I had is that it is the safest, most credible way to pay. Where If I encountered any problem, I will ask PayPal for help to solve this problem. Many times I refrain from purchasing items if they pay through PayPal is not available.

This all has changed and now I am feeling that PayPal does not have my back, and paying through PayPal or directly with your Visa or Mastercard is the same. It changed since I made a purchase online on the 2nd of October 2019. Where I purchased a gift for my little kid online for his birthday, and obviously I paid through PayPal. After I waited till the 19th of October without getting any information from the seller, I tried to reach out to him using PayPal, I sent him a message asking him what happed to my item? Where is it now? and where is the shipping information or tracking number? The seller did not answer me, So I made a dispute with the seller and raised the case to PayPal on the 26th of October. The seller answered with a tracking number after the complaint on the 4th of November. The tracking number is a fake tracking number, I tried to find it out and it always gives me the shipment does not exist.

The case was filed on the 19th of October and it said in the resolution center that the estimated date to solve the case is on the  23ed of November

On the 27th of November I received an email from PayPal saying the following and I qoute :

" Please provide any information we ask you to send us within 3 days. If we don't hear back from you within this time frame, we may decide this case in the seller’s favor. We've received valid proof of shipment from (My NAME), indicating that your item was postmarked on 29 October 2019. Please let us know if you've received your merchandise.If we don't receive a response from you, we may decide this case in the seller's favor."

First of all the email was sent 4 days after the estimated day of solving the case. Second, the email looks like they are we the seller side. Third, they said that they have received valid proof of shipment from me?  How can they receive a valid prof of shipment from me? I am the one who is receiving the goods, I did not ship anything, I am waiting for the shipment to be shipped. and the time frame they gave me was 3 days to answer. I answered withing the hour with proof that this tracking number that the seller-provided does not exist and send them all the pictures. I don't understand how they did not chick the tracking number to begin with since there is a case opened? 

After I answered, the 3 days have passed and another 3 days passed, and yet nothing from them. I have sent them several emails on the 5th, 11th, 24th of November and on the 1st of December. Every message they answered me with a cold empty tone from a copy-paste message saying we are currently reviewing your case we will get back to you later when we need more information. 

I have made the purchase on the 2nd of October and today is the 5th of December, Two months have passed and I did not get my item. One month and a half passed with the case filed and yet no solutions from them. If they were doing the finding Nemo case they would have found him already.

I seriously feel that PayPal does not have my back while purchasing anymore, and many sellers are using PayPal to scam people thinking they would feel safer buying through PayPal, but they know these guys, they know it would take months and months for PayPal to solve a case.  My money was deducted from the second I purchased, and up till now, I have nothing.    

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mouaz1 

Paypal is a business and only has its own ''back''.

The 'friendly face and promises' are to lure us in as paypal is a convenient way to pay.

Saves typing in c.c. details everytime you pay AND most of the time its buyer protection does work pretty well.

But both buyer and seller protection is not a 100% insurance policy, so you read up on its limitations and risk assess your own transactions.

Also in my personal opinion you have to fund that paypal payment via a credit card to give you an extra layer of protection.

If you have done so then i would advise contacting your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you if you don't get a positive result from paypal. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mouaz1
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

I only found out the hard way.  I will try to check with the master card if they can refund me the money.

It really sucks knowing that the hard way.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.