Dispute Denied due to Billing Agreement

hollyday27
Contributor
Contributor

On 3/9 my Panera account was hacked and I was charged for 3 large orders that were never picked up in Huntington Beach, CA. I live in Illinois. I've been fighting this everyday since it happened and I'm sick over losing $200.

PayPal has denied my appeal because it was a billing agreement I had set up on my app. Panera just redirects me to my payment method to appeal. I talked to the location this occurred and the manager said they never came to pick the order up, but he thought it was suspicious but went ahead and filled it anyways without calling to check with me. Panera cooperate was a joke.

I'm sickened by this and the way it has been handled on both parts. PayPal is the first payment method I ever used when starting my business and my main method of both payments and purchases. I can't believe no one is willing to help me!?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @hollyday27 

Thanks for posting in our community forum.  

Based on my understanding on your post is that your dispute was denied due to a Billing Agreement.  Have you reach out to the merchant and ask for a refund?  Please reach out for the merchant so that you may be able to get a refund.  Now granting it's a Billing Agreement that you were charged off, have you cancelled or request to cancelled that agreement? if not, here is a useful link to have that agreement cancel on your end How do I cancel a recurring payment, subscription, or automatic billing agreement I have with a merc... , or you may try to have it settle outside of PayPal like disputing to your bank.

I hope i was able to assist you. Stay Safe.   

**** If you find my post very helpful please enrich the community by giving me kudos or accepting it as a solution. ******

Login to Me Too

hollyday27
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have cancelled the billing agreement. Yes, I have contacted the merchant and they are unwilling to refund me just as PayPal is.

PayPal tells me to demand a refund from the merchant. The merchant tells me to demand a refund from PayPal. It's an endless, irritating cycle and I am still left the victim. 

When I use my PayPal account to pay for my lunch I never imagined that I would be the victim of fraud and someone would try to order $200 worth of food from my wallet. Needless to say, I'm seriously frustrated!

Login to Me Too

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @hollyday27 

I'm sorry to hear that what i may advise now is to try to dispute it to your bank or card issuer if  that merchant is uncooperative.  Thank for your swift reply as well.  I hope was able to assist you. Stay safe. 

**** If you find my reply very helpful please enrich the community by giving me kudos or accepting it as a solution. ******

Login to Me Too

hollyday27
Contributor
Contributor

My bank or credit card issuer IS PayPal. I've disputed it, appealed the denial, and it was denied yet again.

I just don't understand the back and forth especially when the police have been involved. It was clearly fraud but PayPal is not willing to help me. Lesson learned, I am now moving all my payments to another platform. 

Login to Me Too

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @hollyday27 

Thanks for the swift reply.  Allow me to explain this PayPal is not a bank we are just mere a payment processor. I do not have visual on your account right now and i just based my advise or response on my experience as a customer service representative here in PayPal and i have this thinking that  you were talking about PayPal Credit, am i right? if yes, then PayPal credit is handled by Synchrony Bank  if that's indeed a PayPal credit that was used, please contact Synchrony bank.  Stay Safe.  

**** If you find my post very helpful please enrich the community by giving me kudos or accepting it as a solution. ******

Login to Me Too

hollyday27
Contributor
Contributor

The charges were not on my PayPal credit card, it was through a billing agreement.

Login to Me Too

Cdra
Yeah I just had this issue today. PayPal was 0 help and it’s very concerning to me the lack of protection over fraud purchases. I had two different purchases through Panera yesterday go through; one for California, one for New Jersey. No help from PayPal. Will be calling bank tomorrow.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.