Buyer rejected cancellation request and Paypal says I don't have sufficient balance.

ShinjiGR
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

An eBay buyer who just joined eBay the same day he made a purchase from me and has zero feedback refused the cancellation request I sent him. I explained to him that due to the pandemic it is impossible for me to send anything. Anyway eBay doesn't allow me to open another cancellation request and I couldn't find any way to refund the buyer his money through eBay so I went to Paypal. I found the original payment clicked it and then selected the button 'Refund this payment' but paypal gives me a message 'You don’t have sufficient balance to complete this payment. Add funds or add a bank account and confirm it.' I don't have a bank account attached to my Paypal account and I never had so why is it asking for one? And why would I need to add funds in order to cancel an eBay order?

Anyway, the thing is that the money are still in my balance so there is sufficient balance. How can I cancel the transaction either from eBay or from Paypal and refund the buyer his money? I have been searching for about 3 hours now and I can't find a solution so any help would be really appreciated.

As for me, I have been using eBay for more that 18 years but mainly as a buyer, I have only sold a couple of items over the years so I'm don't have experience in situations like this and I don't know what to do. I only mentioned that the buyer has zero feedback and joined the same day because I am afraid that something weird is going on but I just don't know what. The fact that he refused the cancellation request but wants a refund and the fact that I can't refund him in any way neither through eBay nor paypal makes me really worried.  I don't want to be banned from either service and I don't want to lose money either.

What do you advise me to do/?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

ShinjiGR
Contributor
Contributor

More information in case it can help you help me.

I am at it for 5 hours and I still haven't found a solution. Why is giving a refund such a difficult and complicated task?

Anyway, I now believe that it is an amount problem. When I got paid from the ebay sale I got a record on paypal that says 'payment received 17,67 USD', but the sale was for 19,00 USD and I can see in the transaction details that there was a 1,33 USD fee. Now, when I try to refund that payment it tries to refund the whole 19,00 USD which obviously I don't have in my balance.

So why is this happening and how to fix it? I got 17.67 USD from the sale but when I try to give them back paypal tries to send 19 USD which I don't have and the system doesn't even try to take the rest from my credit card. Why can't I just reverse the transaction? And since the fee is small why can't I give it out of my own pocket and be done with it?

What am I supposed to do now?

Login to Me Too

ShinjiGR
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

I still haven't found a solution to my problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.