Drugstore.com Scam with PayPal

janetw
Contributor
Contributor

I received a note that I had a $10 discount with a $20 purchase on Drugstore.com through Paypal. After I went through the process of picking my items and the VERY convoluted process of checking out, I found that the discount would be applied to my NEXT purchase which needed to take place before June 28, and only after I signed up for the "Webloyalty Savings Circle."

'Scuse me? the first ad didn't say anything abut the discount happening as a condition of more spending and signing up for another program. I already had to sign up for Drugstore.com site, another little "gotcha" that wasn't mentioned in the ad. Then with the Drugstore.com signup, I had to give my phone number, "in case there was a problem with the order." Oh yeah, sure. I tried filling out the form without including my phone number, but it wouldn't go through.

So to get NO discount, I went to Drugstore.com, made choices, logged on to Paypal to continue checkout, forced to register with Drugstore.com, made to log on to Paypal again. Drugstore.com got a sale and another set of info for its database.

Y'all should be ashamed of yo'selves.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

janetw
Contributor
Contributor

I have filed a complaint with the FTC and consumer fraud reporting site.

Login to Me Too

Prisann
New Community Member

I just ordered something from drugstore.com and chose paypal. was told they couldn't acess pay pal, i tried 4 more times with same results, had to give them a credit card so i finally did. Now pay pal says they have the order  also. I don't think they have charged me with it yet. What can i do if anything?

Login to Me Too

pam70
Contributor
Contributor

Just happened to me!  Paypal is holding the order amount though but drugstore.com shows no orders.  What a scam! Wish I had read this thread first!! Now i have to wait a week or longer for paypal to release my funds!

Login to Me Too

pam70
Contributor
Contributor

Funny how the money is being held by them in my PAYPAL account but I got the message they were unable to contact Paypal.   They got me on their site... and they will never see me again.  Lousy business scam if you ask me.   This whole Drugstore.com offer has been going on for too long! I've read through to many people this has happened to over the past year or so. Enough!   Please put a stop to it and release my funds immediately!

Login to Me Too

dajeaner
Contributor
Contributor

My pay pal account setting is set to NOT to get any 'partner marketing'.  This was the light bulb that said there is something wrong with the drugstore.com offer which ostensibly came through paypal.

I've sent it to paypal.

Below is the personal preferences setting which I did not check.  Check your own just in case  

___Partner marketing.  Receive PayPal merchant and partner offers.

Login to Me Too

dajeaner
Contributor
Contributor

It is a scam.  I just got this note below from Paypal.

spoof@paypal.com to me
show details 12:14 PM (57 minutes ago)

Hello,

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn  more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to spoof@paypal.com, you help keep yourself and others safe from identity theft.

Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your extra effort.

Thanks,

PayPal

Login to Me Too

pam70
Contributor
Contributor

I forwarded my Email to Paypal spoof and received a reply that it was not a phishing email that it was authentic.  Well I sent a message back saying you are incorrect!!  I have talked to drugstore.com and Paypal via the phone and they both have agreed that this email was not from either of them.  My money from clicking the link in the email is still being held in paypal.  it shows pending until March 12 2012!!  It is supposed to be fixed today... not holding breath but how could spoof not pick up that email is fake.    It did have my full name in it but when you hover over the sender its comes from e.paypal.com

What a hassle this has been!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.