Why do I need a credit card ?

grahamw
New Community Member

I have just bought something off ebay...not much money...£30

My bank account is linked to PayPal and verified, and direct debit arranged/verified, whatever.

When I try to pay for the item , PayPal just keeps asking me to add a credit/debit  card card.

I don't have either. That's why I want to use PayPal !

Why can't they just take the money from my LINKED bank account ??? Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Because paypal credit the seller in advance when you pay as it takes 5-7 days to process a payment through to paypal from your bank account.

This is so there is no delay in you receiving your item.

But they only take the risk of doing that  if you have a back up debit or credit card also linked to your paypal account. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Shayde123
Contributor
Contributor

Right with you on that one I only opened a Paypal account BECAUSE I didn't have OR want to have a credit card!!!

By the looks of it I'll be cancelling my Paypal account then. Because last year I was caught by that Facebook International scam and I didn't have a credit card linked then and now I can't buy anything without one so if I have to get a credit card I won't need sodding Paypal anymore what a joke!! haha NOT!!

Massive fail by what I thought was a decent company!!

Login to Me Too

Shayde123
Contributor
Contributor

And what if you've already got the money in your Paypal account anyway??

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You still need a back up card to be able to use it.

Also to withdraw funds in your paypal account balance you need a verified bank account linked.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.