Suspected scam, unsure how to proceed

melissamei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, 

I've recently been involved in a transaction with a buyer who claims they have transferred me the agreed amount of $230AUD, however, the amount is still not appearing in my PayPal account. I received an email from PayPal confirming the transfer of money but it said it would not deposit the money into my account until after I had provided proof of postage in the form of a tracking number, which I did end up providing by replying to the email. Since then, I have realised that that email was fake after forwarding it to PayPal who confirmed it was a 'phishing' email. But I don't think there is any danger in my having provided the tracking number because, as it turns out, there was no tracking number option available with my chosen method of postage. Anyways, my problem is that I have emailed the buyer asking for a receipt of proof of transfer and they forwarded to me the email they received confirming the transfer, and the email they got is a fake email too. My question is, are they lying to me about having transferred the money, which is the feeling I'm getting now? If so, how do I proceed to get the $230 I am owed, considering I have already posted the item overseas to its destination? I'm feeling very concerned at this point. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@melissamei

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

melissamei
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed I believe you, however instead of Nigeria the buyer asked it to be posted to a friend as a gift in America. Do you know what I can do to either get the money I am owed or to get back my parcel? It is worth $300; I'm devastated to be losing out on this much money. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@melissamei

Try contacting your postal carrier and see if they can stop it.

But as no part of the transaction was actually done using paypals site there is nothing that paypal can do for you unfortunately.

Also you should NEVER send an item to an address that is not linked to the buyers paypal registered address as even if you did get the payment you would have no seller protection if they filed a chargeback etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

melissamei
Contributor
Contributor

I did send an email to Australia Post asking if they could redirect the parcel back to me before it travels out of Australia, however, because it is Friday here the postal service isn't open to customers on weekends so I'm afraid that it will have already travelled out of Australia by Monday, but I will still be calling them first thing Monday morning. Should I have asked for the buyer's PayPal email address so I could confirm their address with their account? I am not used to using PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@melissamei

The buyer won't have had a paypal account, thats the whole point of the scam, no part of the transaction was done using paypal.

If the funds are not showing in your paypal account balance then you have not been paid.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

melissamei
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll just have to get over the fact I practically gave away an item valued at $300 for free. Lesson learned. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.