Problems for expats

wilkpat

Paypal no longer accommodates people who live abroad and wish to pay in their home currency!?

If you have a credit card for an account in one currency but live in a country with a different currency then you cannot use that credit card.

This has happened since Paypal got bought by Ebay, who have been notorious in being unable to accommodate expats.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

BillyD47
Contributor
Contributor
THIS! PayPal, are you paying attention? Expats being the keyword!!! I am from one country. I live in another. I have bank accounts in both. I have plenty of email addresses.

But if I follow your system, it DOES NOT WORK.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BillyD47

Then open another paypal account in the country you are now in !

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BillyD47
Contributor
Contributor
Which would be a fantastic solution and precisely how one would expect it to work. Except it doesn't.

When you move to a foreign country, you do not magically become a National of that country, so you do not possess a National ID for that country.

Therefore, when you get to that step of creating a new PayPal account for the country you are in(!), you cannot.

I hope this illustrates the problem a little better for you.
Login to Me Too

Sclark
New Community Member
I wanted to use one Paypal account for all my global transactions but as it doesn't work that way I had to open a new PayPal account in oz with a different email address and once I did that was able to link it to my oz bank account even though I'm on a temporary visa. I didn't have any issues. Maybe it's a temporary glitch? Or they've changed the process.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BillyD47

It works for some, others it does not.

As there is no ''solution'' I can only give you the facts and those are that the ONLY option is to open an account in the country you are in.

If you cannot do that then ok maybe you can't use paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.