Paypal 180-day buyer protection open to abuse by OneSixthBruce

hennypenny308
Contributor
Contributor

OSB is a UK online seller who sells 1/6th scale action figures. This seller takes pre-orders with a 10% deposit plus shipping cost way in advance (over 1 year is common) of the release date.  They will then ask you to pay the final deposit and again delay the shipment of the item for over the 180-days, which means if you paid via paypal, you lose all the protection when they don't send you the item. This is what they've done with several customers before they close down the business.

I'm 'lucky' in that I decided to open a dispute for the final payment of hundreds of pounds before the 180-day protection expires. Unfortunately, I'm no longer covered for my pre-order deposit of almost £100, as it was over 18 months ago. I will lose my deposit, but at least I'll get back some money.

This is a terrible flaw in paypal's 180-day buyer protection which has been exploited by this retailer.

I just want to highlight this loophole in paypal's protection.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Paypal gives you 180 days protection which is the same as most credit cards.

If the item is going to take longer than that then you have the option to just not buy from that seller.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hennypenny308
Contributor
Contributor

That's why pre-orders with a late release date is such a great way to scam money on paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Rubbish, if you sent a cheque or bank transfer you would have far less protection.

Is it that hard to file a dispute on or before day 180 or not buy items if they are going to take that long to arrive??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.