Charges

Tim50
Contributor
Contributor
I have just used PayPal for a purchase from M&Mdirect. I was charged 99p for using Paypal on a £50 transaction. Should M&M have charged this? How common will it become? Thanks Tim
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tim50

Sellers on Ebay are not allowed to surcharge, however other merchants are allowed to do so but only if that charge is clearly stated upfront before you click to purchase the item.

That way if you don't want to be surcharged you just buy elsewhere. I have personally not come across a merchant that surcharged me so i don't think its that common.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tim50

Sellers on Ebay are not allowed to surcharge, however other merchants are allowed to do so but only if that charge is clearly stated upfront before you click to purchase the item.

That way if you don't want to be surcharged you just buy elsewhere. I have personally not come across a merchant that surcharged me so i don't think its that common.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Tim50
Contributor
Contributor
Dear kernowlass, Thanks for your prompt reply. I guess all is in order as I was notified before purchase that I was being charged. However the website was so cheap I still proceeded. By chance I'm on the train leaving your land back to Devon after a few days in Penzance! Cheers, Tim
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tim50

Hope you had your passport handy at the 'border'  Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Balders1
Contributor
Contributor

I've just joined the community to ask this very question. They are very clear that a 99p charge will be made but I'm curious to know why they charge it and if this will become more common with other retailers. PayPal is free and convenient and is always my preferred payment method when buying online as I can be anywhere and make the transaction. However, if retailers are going down the road of 'to cover charges incurred by us from PayPal' then I would reconsider using it. I probably make 20-25 transactions each month, well that's a considerable amount to add for that particular convenience. It will be interesting to see if this becomes more evident

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.