Unable to link BillMeLater account with Paypal due to having Paypal Smart connect.

Streetmagus
New Community Member

I received an email from BillMeLater stating I could link my BillMeLater account to my Paypal account, it provides me a link to do so, and when I login to my paypal account following that link, I receive this message:

"Looks like your account is already linked to a PayPal Credit account. To link your Bill Me Later® account, please create a new PayPal account."

It sounds like I am unable to link my BillMeLater account to my Paypal account because my Paypal account is already linked to a Paypal Credit account (in this case, Paypal Smart connect). 

So, are we only allowed to have 1 type of Credit account linked to Paypal? I am unable to use BillMeLater as an option through Paypal when I'm paying with Paypal. I get either Paypal Smart Connect, Bank Transfer, or Credit Card. 

Does anyone know anything about this issue? Is it meant to be this way? Right now I am only limited to the merchants listed on BillMeLater's website, if I choose Paypal as payment method via eBay, I don't have the BillMeLater option.

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

mistanave
New Community Member

I had the same error message when trying to link my accounts and called both BML and PP and a lot of back and forth.  On my call with both this morning and after readding your posts here, I realized that the member who said to make sure Billing info matches between both sites was spot on.

BML address abbreviates your street address and does not allow you to *update your zip with a plus 4 (even if it carried over your plus 4 when it was first populated).  It also saves your info in all CAPS.

PP address is both upper and lower cased and allows for zip plus 4.

So what I ended up doing with both BML and PP rep on the phone was updating my BML address (spelled out Lane instead of Ln) and updating my PP address (dropped the plus 4) and lo and behold, it finally linked!

Give that a shot if you are certain if you don't have any other MC or Visa with PayPal or Ebay or the Smart Connect option.

Hope this helps.

thanks!

Login to Me Too

jmcagg
New Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem and can't seem to find answers anywhere!!! I wish Paypal would respond to this problem!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.