Why would anyone give PayPal acess to their bank account?

hutterite
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal says I am one of their advantage customers but they also want to be linked to my bank account. Three times I have called them and told them no way and 3 times they have waived this linkage request and three times it has shown up and stopped my use of Pay pal.

Just in case an idiot from PayPal reads this, let me explain one more time. I use Paypal to keep my credit card number away from possible unscrupulous merchants or their employees, I consider it safer to use Paypal as an intermediary.

So why would I now give Paypal access to my bank account and throw away the security of one extra security measure, merchant, Paypal, credit card, bank account?

PayPal is trying to force their own credit card upon us and the FCC just ruled against this type of action today for internet users and hopefully Paypal will come into the sites of a government body similar to the FCC.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

nipper
Contributor
Contributor

My question exactly.  I had a friend who has used Paypal twice --- the last time in February.  Recently she had $721 removed from her bank account via Paypal --- an unauthorized withdrawal.  It took nearly two weeks for her to have her money returned to her bank account.  I closed my Paypal account so I could get my bank account off.  When I tried to reopen my account without my bank information, I couldn't do it.  When I called, I was told that I absolutely could open an account without providing my banking information.  It turns out that I can't open an account without providing my bank account information, so I did it because I wanted to buy something on ebay.   When I tried to buy an item, I was blocked from paying for it because it said my account wasn't verified --- even though it states that I'm verified.  I hate paypal.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@nipper wrote:

My question exactly.  I had a friend who has used Paypal twice --- the last time in February.  Recently she had $721 removed from her bank account via Paypal --- an unauthorized withdrawal.  It took nearly two weeks for her to have her money returned to her bank account.  I closed my Paypal account so I could get my bank account off.  When I tried to reopen my account without my bank information, I couldn't do it.  When I called, I was told that I absolutely could open an account without providing my banking information.  It turns out that I can't open an account without providing my bank account information, so I did it because I wanted to buy something on ebay.   When I tried to buy an item, I was blocked from paying for it because it said my account wasn't verified --- even though it states that I'm verified.  I hate paypal.

Then you friend needs to stop giving out her passwords.  the friend was probably "spoofed" and gave out her paypal account info.

As far as the 10 days...per federal law, paypal and/or the bank has up to 10 days to determine if it was in fact an unauthorized withdrawal, and return your funds if it was. 

Once you lifetime spending limit has been reached you have to either link a bank account or get the Paypal (mastercard) credit card.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You don't want to geve paypay you bank account info....the same info that is on every check you write

You don't have to get paypal's credit card, you can link your bank account.

Once paypal confirmes the bank account, you will be able to keep using your credit cards.

Paypal has had my bank accounk info since the beginning, with not one problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.