PayPal text message from 62226

RedDavo
Contributor
Contributor

I've received 3 text messages today from 62226 saying - "[PayPal] A £743.33 GBP transaction from xxxx on 13 November 2017 was marked suspicious. Please reply 1 if authorised or 2 if not."

This is the exact amount of a recent transaction of mine however, 2 of the messages quote US Dollars rather than British Pounds and there is no information on my paypal account that gives me any indication there is a problem. The company I purchased goods from has given me an order confirmation also.

Is this a legitamite text message from PayPal?

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

SomeWoman
Contributor
Contributor

It's amazing that previous threads on this have only received "This suggests a problem on your account, please phone us" replies from PayPal moderators. 

I've just had a 'suspicious payment' alert from 62226 and answered it with a 1 to confirm. Another message came straight back telling me to confirm my phone or email and input a money amount. This felt a bit suspicious, so I deleted it and checked my PayPay account. Everything looks in order.

I googled it a bit more, and found this: http://www.hoax-slayer.net/youve-just-sent-a-payment-paypal-sms-phishing-scam/ which says it is a scam.

Plus, I agreed to charges for sending the first reply! Thinking it was PayPal, I assumed it would be about 20p. I wonder what the hoaxers have charged me?

Login to Me Too

SomeWoman
Contributor
Contributor

... But how do the bad guys know the amount of your last transaction? 

Login to Me Too

Kevmeister1
New Community Member

same here. 

last two transactions with paypal, almost immediately after had an sms from "paypal" 62226 asking me to reply with a 1 or 2.

It's very worrying. after the first time yesterday, i changed all my passwords. 

It's happened again today. if its fraudsters, they know the amount each time and the sellers name. what the hell. its very worrying indeed...

Login to Me Too

Marmiesmiles
New Community Member

I also had exactly this. Wish PayPal would actually respond formally to this as it is very worrying as the amounts were exactly correct and when I responded with 1 it asked more questions so I became v worried and haven't responded further

Login to Me Too

Glenno1
New Community Member

I had the same message following payment of an item on ebay, they asked me to reply 1 or 2 to authorise a suspicious transaction, the amount specified was correct in pounds on the first text, when I did not reply they repeated the message in dollars twice more. I have changed my Paypal password and the payment has gone through ok.

Login to Me Too

ppkavizem

That is the PayPal's number! They keep quite cause 62226 is another profit tool they use without any doubts. Just search internet typing 'ebay PayPal on your mobile' and you'll be suprised.

Thanks.

P.S. I was, I am and I will be avoiding using paypal... 

Login to Me Too

Spedley
New Community Member

My mother received similar texts recently after making a large payment.  After checking all that I can (I have to do this over the phone) my conclusion is that an App on her phone is monitoring text messages.  I believe the first text asking for confirmation was genuine and from paypal but an App also read the text and followed it up with a phishing attempt asking to reply with "send 39.99 to 07555000123".

Login to Me Too

Ed2910
Contributor
Contributor

I had  this text also after a transaction. Id like to know which phone apps people are using so we may be able to figure out which one it is. i do use a phone number blocker app. maybe thats what is reading my info.

Login to Me Too

mumof4girls
New Community Member
Just had this this morning. Replied yes after an eBay payment then was asked to remake for a different amount.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.