PayPal defaulting to OLD address even after it has been removed (???)

A2Scooter
Contributor
Contributor

Recently made a rather large purchase using funds drawn from a bank account.  We moved to a new address out of state eight months ago, at which time I updated my PayPal profile and deleted EVERY old address and added/confirmed the new one.

When I made this latest purchase, I neglecting to notice that the OLD shipping address (which is no longer even in my profile anywhere) came up during the transaction.  I realize I could've changed it had I noticed it (no lectures on the obvious please).  I immediately contacted the seller in hopes that they would be able to correct it without making me jump through hoops (still waiting to hear back from them...it's a weekend).

The question is, HOW did the old address even come up?  The ONLY address I have in my profile is the new one.  I've made other purchases using that account since we've moved and not once has this happened before, until now.  What gives?

There's really no good way to bring this to the attention of PayPal without filing a dispute, which I don't want to.  My problem is with PayPal, not the seller.  Any suggestions?  Thanks -

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

RaceyB
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, it was a merchant whom I have never vistied or purchased from in the past... PP is not entirely coming clean with this issue.... blaming it on the merchant is ridiculoius... PP is supplying the merchant my shipping address...  I didn't notice the old address until I got a PP email receipt.

@jawzzy wrote:

I'm not saying that PP still doesn't have a problem with these old addresses, but I found that after PP removed all my bad addresses, eBay still had them, and when I checked out with the quick eBay checkout thru PP, old addresses still showed up, but it was eBay that still had them, NOT PP.

This whole old address stuff though is an absolute pain in the **bleep**, and should be made so we can control our own profiles on BOTH eBay and Paypal!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

jawzzy
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you, it can't be the merchant's fault, but when I say eBay has the old addresses, I mean their own system, not the merchants I deal with. eBay and PP both keep our addresses, old and new, but they don't talk to each other when it comes to cleaning them out, and that's a big part of the problem.

Next time you buy something on eBay, when you get to the shipping address page, open the scroll arrow to see all the addresses, and you will most likely find the same ones that PP had said they erased for you. Again, not it's eBay with the same problem as PP 😞

Login to Me Too

DjaangoZ
New Community Member

I thought I was crazy, but looks like this is happening to many people. It's been happenign for me for a few weeks and I finally decided to just stop using PayPal. I can't trust it.

I'm really stunned that they have "hidden" addresses and don't allow us users to manage our own address. 

There had better be a good explanation and a fix fast or I'll not be using PayPal again...and I've been using it for a very long time.

Login to Me Too

billybag
Contributor
Contributor

Not going to bother posting anything long. Just thought it productive to say that i have the same problem and it is very annoying. It needs to be fixed. i even have copies of the same addresses, just different capitalization.

Login to Me Too

Andrew2323
New Community Member

Agreed that there should be an option to remove old addresses. Currently the best solution is to always pay when logged into paypal vs clicking through an invoice in an email. I have found that either changing your address is more difficult or does not show up when clicking through email but always gives me an option when I am logged in and click on the transaction. I click on the pay button and it gives me a list of all my previous addresses including current to choose. 

What's interesting is that ebay and paypal are separate companies but I will continue to always ship only to the address listed on the paypal invoice. I never understood the importance of the ebay shipping address unless it was for printing labels, but even then you would have to double check that it matches the paypal address. on invoice 

Login to Me Too

TIcelles

I'm not sure why this is considered resolved when the resolution is to call PayPal and have them fix it when it has been clearly stated in several posts that this does NOT fix the issue.

I am extremely frustrated, as I moved to a completely different state and my old address is STILL being defaulted.  

The problem is not so bad when you can see the defaulted address on the seller site, as you can usually go in and change this, which is just an annoying inconvenience, but when the seller site does not show the defaulted address, which is what just happened to me on a purchase, 10 minutes ago.  

This is the age of User Experience and I'm disappointed that I have not seen a response from PayPal to this post and I'm disappointed in the fact that the resolution to the issue, does not actually fix the issue.

Login to Me Too

eileenkeeney
Contributor
Contributor

Why does the original post say SOLVED.  This has not been solved.  I was very close to having an expensive item shipped to my old address, when I was doing paypal checkout on another site.

Basically paypal has made it very risky for me to use paypal to do checkout on other sites, something I had become comfortable doing.

If this problem was reported a few years ago, then why does the problem still exist?  

Login to Me Too

ploatman
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me, so it's definitely not solved. I'm just going to make sure to be extra careful every time i use paypal from now on, and whenever i have the option i'll use some other form of payment since this is just too stupid of an issue to even happen in the first place, let alone years after being reported by multiple people. If i can't trust them to use the correct address, then that's pretty bad.

Login to Me Too

ktesar
New Community Member

Having the same issue.  Called customer service and got nothing helpful from them. 

Login to Me Too

rrogers44
New Community Member

Same issue here.  On a site I had never been on before.  Interesting that Paypal has not weight in or resolved.  I see posts on this same topic dating back to 2010.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.