delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on
paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have
internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c
attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the
price so i can make the payment asap for it and please if you don't have paypal
account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get
it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use
for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up
agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payment...

Thanks.

And if you don't trust it, why not? What could go worng?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

SCAM   ... don't go there.

Login to Me Too

shawjeff
New Community Member

I got this exact email yesterday. The only thing I am trying to figure out, is if the buyer of my item only wants my paypal email address, which is what was asked for in the email, how can i get scammed here? the whole point of paypal os to give your paypal email address and have money put in your account. My guess is that the scam comes from him picking up the itema nd then most likely refuting the cahrges with paypal later, but i dont know how that all works for sure. Any thoughts out there?

Here is the email I got...

Good to hear back from you, i am located in Ohio. i am buying the item for my dad as a surprise gift, i am okay with the price,  i am a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore,sometimes access to regular emails and phone calls are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of phone and internet connections, more so we are often constrain from accessing the internet or making phone calls, i insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online and i don't have internet banking too, but i can pay from my PayPal account as i have my bank a/c attached to it, if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, i will like you to go on to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up.you don't need to bother yourself about the shipment because i have a pick-up agent that will come for the pick-up they will also determine and secure the shipment, get back to me with your PayPal email address so that i can make the payment, i will also need you to provide me with the following information in order to facilitate the payment.

1.Your Full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3.Your phone number.

Kind Regards.
Login to Me Too

valja
Contributor
Contributor
THIS IS SCAM THEY WERE ALWAYS SAYING I NEED YOUR EMAIL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, EVERYTHING WAS A RUSH.
THEY EVEN SOME HOW EMAILED ME FROM A PAYPAL EMAIL SAYING IT IS PAYPAL CUSTUMER SERVICE AND THAT IT WAS SECURE TO GO AHEAD WITH THE TRANSACTION AND SO ON..

SCAM SCAM SCAM
Login to Me Too

Zepp12
Contributor
Contributor

LMAO  ... because i post on USEDVIC and local craigslist  .. i get at least 4 of these a week   ... 

if you do it  be prepared for either a compromised paypal account to pay you   .. or a stolen CC  ..  or a fake " you have money" email  ...  

Login to Me Too

JayEyeEm
Contributor
Contributor
In response to a craigslist ad for my auto, the offending party agreed to transfer funds via PayPal. He could not look at the car but would act through an agent. I was initially suspicious since he did not negotiate the price but I saw no risk in playing along. Despite wanting to act "asap", he delayed a day before sending the following two emails. The first was when he was "just about" to transfer funds and the second, a couple of hours later, after said that he had. Needless to say, the money did not show up in my account and I sent no money to his so-called agent. Howerver, someone who was very anxious to make a sale may not have been so careful.
Login to Me Too

Jackie1969

I have a Corvette for sale on Ebay and this guy who said his name is David contacted me stating that he was very interested in my car and he wants to make me an offer. So of course I'm excited YAY...He said he wanted to continue talking thru email, I thought no problem so I emailed him back to the email address that he provided on the text message he sent me...

He begins to ask very little questions about my car, which I thought was very odd. He just said is there anything wrong with it?  He didnt call, which I thought that was strange, I said he could of course have his own mechanic look over the car, that is when he tells me that he is a MARINE BIOLOGIST and he is at sea.....ha ha ...what makes me mad is I still believed him....

Then he said I will deposit the money but I have run into an issue with the pickup agent they need $800 in order to pick up the car, HA HA...He said I am going to need your help, I will need you to send them the $800 so they can pick up the car....

I may be a single woman, this may be my first time selling anything on Ebay, but this isnt my first rodeo bucko... Well I said I would be glad to send you the $800 once the payment clears the bank and my name is off the lien. Because I still owe on the Corvette....

Crickets....

First he is blowing my email up, then once he realizes I'm not going to fall for his tricks he stops, and is probably moving on to someone else... The scary thing is, he sent me an email that looks like it came from Pay Pal it looks legit it said to sign in to my account and said Congratulations on your first purchase...Well I haven't purchased anything, I am just selling...

I called the real Pay Pal (I hope) and sent the email to spoof@paypal.com I hope this guy or girl whoover gets what they have coming to them... I work too damn hard for my money and my things and to have some creep try and rip me off it really **bleep**... It makes me lose all trust....Now I am paranoid to even log in to my Pay Pa accountl....

It is scary out there, all the good decent people please be careful...

I hope at least this post helps someone....

Login to Me Too

valja
Contributor
Contributor

I hade the same emails, dont belive it and dont buy or sell it is Scam.

DONT TRUST THIS EMAIL OR PERSON.

And in the future if you not sure, take your time and call Paypal directly and spaek with a Paypal agent.

Thats what I did and the Paypal Agent told me, this email was Scam. 

Hapens often when you sell something on kijiji.

Its people trying make money from you not buy something from you.

Login to Me Too

valja
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response Does it need anything to be replace or repair?if theirs please specify,i will take it for the listed price,Payment will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well.I will arrange with someone to have this picked up for your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment. I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too,since i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP.

Okay.. I will be paying the 2.9% PayPal surcharge from my account. So i will be paying directly into your PayPal account without any delay, and i hope you have a paypal account.  If you have one already, just send me the address to send it to, which is the email address you use for it or you can send me a paypal money request, so once i receive the details i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and then i will contact my shipping company after you get the payment. I will need your home address for the merchandise to be Picked Up by the Shipping Company..

Payment completed
Please check your PayPal email for confirmation as you should have received notification from them.
Also let me know your schedule,contact and location for the pickup
Here is the shipping agent's info that will be picking the money up

NOTE: i added 100 cad for the MoneyGram transfer charges and 2.9% PayPal surcharge i promise to pay from my account.. kindly check your email for the notification/confirmation emails from paypal.

THIS IS SCAM THE WE ALWAYS SAYING INEED YOUR EMAIL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, EVERYTHING WAS A RUSH.
THEY EVEN SOME HOW EMAILED ME FROM A PAYPAL EMAIL SAYING IT IS PAYPAL CUSTUMER SERVICE AND THAT IT WAS SECURE TO GO AHEAD WITH THE TRANSACTION AND SO ON..

SCAM SCAM SCAM

Login to Me Too

valja
Contributor
Contributor
THIS IS SCAM THE WE ALWAYS SAYING INEED YOUR EMAIL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, EVERYTHING WAS A RUSH.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.