Scam?

crusnik
Contributor
Contributor

emailss.png

I received this email today claiming that a subscription (5 months) for a video game was purchased using my PayPal account.

My PayPal account has had a 0.00 balance for months (I haven't used it in awhile) and I checked my bank account and (from what I've seen) there's been no transaction made as of yet.

I'm too paranoid to click on the "PayPal Store team" link as I know hackers can access your information that way....

Can somebody please confirm for me whether this is legit (if so I've been hacked) or a scam?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me with this asap!!!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Pinkangel72
New Community Member

Hi,

I received an email similar to yours, saying I made a purchase and I have 24 hours to cancel it and "CLICK HERE" to cancel, which of course I didnt.

They said they are paypal but by the email address it looks fake AF.

I really hate getting these and its so weird that after years of having a Paypal account, now that ive been using it recently, now I get these fake emails. Why is that??

PAYPAL, any idea why all of a sodden a get these?

thanks!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey everyone,

Although I wouldn't be able to verify account specifics for either of you, what I can advise is that if you log in and don't see the payment in your activity page, this is not a legitimate email.

Of course, never click on a link if you're unsure whether it's from PayPal. As a general rule, unless you're on the phone with one of our representatives who tells you to click on a link, it's typically not a good idea! You can always call us to check the validity of an email, and so that we can check your account to ensure there aren't any unauthorized payments.

There are lots of ways to identify if an email is from PayPal, more info on that here.

I would advise forwarding the email(s) to us at review@paypal.com so that we can investigate them. If you see any charges on your account that you don't recognize, please file them as unauthorized within your account, or call us.

Hope this information helps, have a great rest of your day!

- Ashley

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.