Prevent "unauthorized payment" and "didn't get the item" for virtual goods

kotaries
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone. I sell virtual items (gaming codes, cryptocurrency, other digital items) at eBay. Had few disputes, was fighting tooth and nail, provided all the possible evidences of delivery: transaction hash, screenshots, messages from buyer and so on. Lost every dispute.

So, my questions are:

1. How can I prevent "unauthorized payments" or win this type of disputes: PayPal itself doesn't validate the buyer identity (even with a simple SMS code) before allowing a payment. And when I receive the payment I never know: should I send the item or not. If I would know the buyer's phone number (attached to PayPal) - it would be great - I could validate his identity at my own (by sending SMS or calling) - but PayPal doesn't let me know it (due to security reasons, what an irony). If I will send a "special secret code" to my buyer's email, and he will confirm it - will it help me anyhow to win the dispute? Like "look, he confirmed his email, it was not an unauthorized payment, it was the real owner!"

-- if there is no solution, then it looks like a collusion between scammers and PayPal: because PayPal gives them an easy way to steal money from credit cards, and restricts sellers from defending themselves. It's weird and unfair.

2. How can I win a "didn't get the item" dispute? Few times my buyers claimed "I didn't get my cryptocurrency" - and I was trying hard to prove the fact of delivery (transaction hash, screenshots, messaging) - nothing helped. The PayPal support asked for "any proves of delivery" - but it is still unclear what exactly did they want me to send? If there are any certain criteria for cryptocurrency (like transaction hash, my transaction history, whatever) - why didn't they ask for it? If there are no certain criteria, and it's impossible to prove/disprove the delivery - how is it possible to prove the fact of NO delivery? And, finally, how is it possible to judge wheither the item was delivered or not without those certain criteria?

-- if there is no solution for this question: this situation looks unbalanced, because every buyer can purchase numerous virtual items, use it and claim he didn't receive anything. PayPal should either announce the criteria to prove the delivery, or just stop judging such claims - it would be at least fair.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

go and review Paypal seller protection for WHAT IS NOT COVERED.

So many sellers come and cry Paypal offers no protection when they should have read Paypal buyer and seller protection ,we should all make a copy and pin it to our forehead .

There will always be some dreamers who think it would not happen to them,beleive me,there are too many savvy scammers who know how to get goodies FREE.

It could be an expensive watch in 5 figures,it could be Bitcoin,it could be a gold coin,gold chain,iphone,laptop,mining equipment,Ferrari,trip to the moon.

Login to Me Too

kotaries
Contributor
Contributor

I asked concrete questions: how to prevent, what could help, what are the criteria, wheither something is possible or not, etc

And here you are, yelling "read the agreement", "pit it on your forehead", blablabla

If I would like to hear such a nonsense (without discourtesy, of course), I would call the PayPal support.

Please, do_not reply anymore. Thank you for understanding.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.