Paypal only protects the buyer. Despicable!

Tuan209
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Guys,

I need some help or suggestions on the next steps I should do on a closed dispute.  

I sold a pair of 2003 Jordan III and the buyer files a claim and leaves me a negative feedback 8 days later claiming that the shoes are fake. 

After receiving an email from ebay about the buyer requesting a refund, I messaged him as to why.  He just writes, "shoes are fake, fell apart after I first tried them on."  I asked him why he waited 8 days to file a complaint or even contacting me.  He simply replies "shoes are fake, give me my refund ASAP."  The buyer then decides not to wait on an eBay resolution and quickly files a dispute with Paypal.  

I see the dispute and upload the original receipt I kept from Nike from 2003.  

A few days later, I receive an email stating that the dispute or case has been closed and that the buyer is required to send the shoes back to me and will receive his full refund.  

I was simply livid and called Paypal for a reason why.  I was told that because it was a "he said, she said" type situation that it was the best Paypal could do. The representive said that if they did not side with the buyer, the buyer could call his credit card or whatever method of payment he used and get his money back.  This was the only explanation I was given.  

How dispicable is this?  Basically, the buyer bought a 100% authentic product from, wears and ruins it, leaves me a negative feedback, files a dispute, and gets his full refund.  

If this is how Paypal works, I will never again use any of their servies.  Shameful!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tuan209

In the case of an item received but not as described dispute it is always one persons word against another.

The receipt you provided could have easily been for another pair of shoes, you can't prove they were the ones that you sent.

So paypal tends to favour the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery BEFORE you have to issue a refund.

Just the risk of selling I'm afraid. You win some, you lose some.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tuan209
Contributor
Contributor

Right, but the buyer can always make the claim "item is not as described."

In that case, what is the point of using any services such as Paypal or eBay for protection?

When Paypal cannot even look at comments left by the buyer on eBay to use as evidence, why the joint partnership?  

Yes, even tho the buyer is required to send back the item, in this case, the shoes.  It is ruined.  The item he is sending back is clearly not in the condition I sent to him and there is nothing I can do about it.  

You are right that you win some and lose some.  With practices that eBay and Paypal has in place, I will gladly never use their services again.  As soon as the transaction is complete, I will gladly close both my eBay and Paypal account.  Luckily I am in position where I dont need either services to make a living.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tuan209

Yes you are correct, a buyer can always raise a dispute for item received but not as described, BUT in my 10 years of selling I have had very few.

Most buyers are honest and most sales go smoothly, its only every now and again you get the odd pain in the butt buyer.

Paypal gives 'some seller and some buyer' protection but that can never be a 100% coverall, there are always some risks when buying and selling online.

If its not working for you then of course you don't have to use Ebay or Paypal, I tend to use them because I still make more money using them (even with the odd dispute) than I would if I sold elsewhere.

As a buyer I would never buy from a seller without paypal buyer protection so thats why i offer it as a seller (cus I want those buyers).

But if you have items that would appeal locally and do not want any risk at all then cash on collection is always a good one.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.