How do you know if it's a scam....

horsemama2
New Community Member

My daughter posted an item for sale on a popular equine site. We were emailed by a buyer and they want to send money via paypal. However she is asking for my full name, paypal email account, phone number and the quoted price. When I have purchased in the past, I sent the buyer my email for the invoice, not the other way around. The grammer in the email is broken and offered full asking price...  It feels fishy. Am I being overly cautious? I don't want my account to be hacked.

Freaked out,

Horsemama

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

You are indeed correct - possible scam.

As the seller, you should send an invoice or request for money for "goods and services".   Personally, I would create an invoice.  All you need from the buyer is their email address.  They need basically nothing from you as there's no reason - everything they need to know will be in the invoice.   If they push back, then you know it's no deal.   

Create and send the invoice, the buyer pays, you get an email notification and a notice in your Activity history section, you ship and track the package, you get paid and you now have proof of a sale.  Note, you will be charged a processing fee - 2.9% plus $.30 on the total amount but, you also have seller protection.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.