Comenity Letter scam?

CJB110
Contributor
Contributor

I just received a letter from Comenity about my Steinback credit account.  They want me to send in my social security number to:

<removed>

also phone number <removed>

Not going to send my SSN, but anyone else get this mailing?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

If your bank has a security dept, suggest that you forward the email to them or if you can't find the address you need, contact them direct for help. 

Login to Me Too

LadyT_TNT
Contributor
Contributor

I received the same letter. The account in question was from 1994 with the last activity in 1998.  The rep I spoke with didn't understand why the letter was sent.  However, I didn't call the number from the letter--- I googled it and couldn't find how it corresponded to Comenity.  I called this number from their site: <removed>.    Good luck.

Login to Me Too

CJB110
Contributor
Contributor

I also googled the Comenity number.  Turns out it was a "computer glitch" that sent out a bunch of letters to very old accounts.  Not sure why they did not address it with an email, or another letter. 

Login to Me Too

beautismile
Contributor
Contributor

letter dated 3/9/18  stating they rec'd request to reinstate PP Credit Account but not until they get a copy of my government issued ID and utility bill statement. Seems my account is OK. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.