Chance for credit card issuer to return scammed money?

tnounsy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I sold some used item in May and the buyer filed an unauthorised transaction chargeback in June, today I received the email saying the chargeback has been processed and the money has been deducted from my account.

The fact is I provided more than what they required for a dispute, proof of shipment, proof of delivery, proof that I sent the item to the paypal address and I used a certified courier service (USPS). I even provided my item listing details, conversation with the buyer and my emails directly to and from the buyer's paypal account.

and yes still they succeeded.

I called paypal and they say they are communicating with the credit card issuer and it may talk up to 80 days, I'm just wondering what's the chance for me to get the money back? or is it just some other kind of bs. I kinda lost faith in it, tbh.\ it's not really a small amount.

Also is there anything I can do to increase the chance?

Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

With a personal account you can't accept card funded payments (or very few till they force you to upgrade).

You need a business account to sell but you don't have to be a registered business, if you upgrade just select the individual pathway, i sell on ebay and that is what i have and i only sell stuff i no longer want etc.

With a chargeback its them that make any decisions and not paypal, so if they decide in favour of their customer then they get the money back BUT paypal reimburse you IF you meet all the requirements of seller protection.

Not sure how long it takes though.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Have you got a business and not a personal account?

Did you read the rest of the criteria for seller protection ie send within 7 days etc??

If so then you may still be covered you just have to wait it out to see if paypal will reimburse you.

Good luck.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tnounsy
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply,

nope my account is personal, I tried to upgrade to business before but I couldn't as I wasn't actually running a business, I couldn't even fill the first field which is about company name...

Pretty sure I followed exactly the instructions, sent the item the next day after receiving payment etc.

but still the reason paypal gave me today is 'not eligiable for seller protection'. I wonder if this means I should just give up...

Guess all I can do is to cross my finger.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As you are not supposed to sell using a personal account that could be the problem as you may well have lost seller protection by doing so.    Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tnounsy
Contributor
Contributor

hmm that seems to be something I wasn't aware of, does it mean I need to start a business even if I just sell used items infrequently?

May I know if you have experience with the "second round" of dispute with the credit card company (as paypal customer service told me)? Is it something I can actually hold my breath for... or no seller protection = no money back?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

With a personal account you can't accept card funded payments (or very few till they force you to upgrade).

You need a business account to sell but you don't have to be a registered business, if you upgrade just select the individual pathway, i sell on ebay and that is what i have and i only sell stuff i no longer want etc.

With a chargeback its them that make any decisions and not paypal, so if they decide in favour of their customer then they get the money back BUT paypal reimburse you IF you meet all the requirements of seller protection.

Not sure how long it takes though.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tnounsy
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks, that's pretty clear.

Seems I cannot do anything about it so yea, gonna forget about it until miracle happens

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.