Wishing to purchase a car, seller has asked for payment through paypal

EndorsToi

Hi all,

I have been looking on a website called Gumtree for a car and I have seen one I like. It is VERY cheap compared to usual so the 'too good to be true' alarm bells start ringing. I enquire about the car and he said

'In case you cann​​ot come an​​d collect , then i can arrange the car to be shipped directly to your hom​​e address and​​ i will cover the​​ ​​shipp​​ing c​​osts. The car delivery will be covered by me.
​​
​​Regarding the deal, we will​​ close the t​​r​​a​​nsaction th​​rough Paypal ,like t​​his we will be both protected and have t​​he gua​​r​​ante​​e that each one will re​​ceive the goods. Through Paypal you will get and inspect the​​ car f​​or 7 da​​ys before i get any money from Paypal, i will only get paid after your confi​​rmation​​ that you are satisfy with the car and decided to​​ keep it.​​'

I am trying to look for the scam or where I will not be covered with this. I believe vehicles arent covered by the buyers/sellers guarantee?

Please help.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

AlisaAli
New Community Member
I had the same email. It's a Scam! I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment, Paypal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your PayPal registered email. I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via western union,but due to the condition of my health i'm unable to get to a western union shop to send it. I added the £205 they charged for the pick up and £25 for the western union charges, you will receive the total sum of £470, you can also complete the western union payment online. You'll send £205 to them via western union today and here is the details needed for the transfer below: Name: Karl Steven Pyatt City: Coventry Postal code: cv2 3fs Constituent Country: England Country: United Kingdom (U.K). Please let me know once you've sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangement
Login to Me Too

Missikitty246
New Community Member

Same exact scammer, just now, the same person tried to purchase wardrobes via a Paypal payment via an ad on Gumtree.

They called themselves Angela <removed> and wanted us to send £95 to Western union for the courier KARL <removed> from Coventry cv2 3fs.

My mum was trying to shift some wardrobes she didn't want anymore, so I agreed to put them on Gumtree and Shpock for her. Within an hour this person contacted her mobile by text message and wanted them, from up in Glasgow no less, (mum is near Colchester) and to pay via PayPal. She only texted from this landline number <removed>. It looked like a scam to me from the email I received so I asked Mum to phone PayPal whilst I was also talking with her and PayPal confirmed it was a scam.

She said she was deaf and Ill.

Bloody Scammers! I sent the email to spoof@paypal.co.uk. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.