Unable to change currency conversion upon sending payment.

ivanting1989
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I having issues with sending payment. Which currently I unable to change currency conversion to convert with card issuer.

I've set my account conversion option to bill in currency listed on seller's invoic.

Upon sending payment, I tried to choose to convert with card issuer but no luck, it still using Paypal conversion for billing. Even on mobile apps, there is no option to choose currency conversion option when sending payment.

PP20161116132003.pngPP20161116132048.pngPP20161116132208.png

I've done all I can get on Google but still no luck. Hope there is pros here can assist.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

zkash
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same exact issue, it keeps on changing payment option back to convert with paypal.

Login to Me Too

vincent199188
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, yesterday I had the same issue, tried for almost half an hour, figuring out how to convert it with card issuer.

All along i have been using the option of converting with card issuer, and the transaction i did yesterday was automatically changed to convert with PayPal.

In the end i paid my merchant, thinking that it might probably be just an error and it will be converted with my card issuer. When i check my statement, it was converted with PayPal, which means i paid a lot more than what I would have paid if its converted with my card issuer.

5 mins ago i called up PayPal and they informed me that they have received a lot of feedback regarding this issue. It was due to some techincal issues with their interface after they upgraded their backend system, which caused this issue that we are facing. They also credited some money into my Paypal account to compensate me. 

Very efficient and customer oriented service from Paypal.

Login to Me Too

ivanting1989
Contributor
Contributor

Its good to know, at least know what going on.

However, did they give any estimated date to fix this issue when you contact them?

Login to Me Too

jymster
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having the same issue.  I always use my credit card conversion rate (28 Degrees MC) but in the last few days this option has disappeared from the desktop eBay checkout process.  It had also disappeared on my mobile checkout, but has now reappeared.  However, even though it now shows I get an error when trying to go through with the payment.  This is just ridiculous.  I'm losing money by the minute as I watch the AUD/USD rate dropping at the moment.  I reckon I've lost around $40 in the past two days alone.

I also called PayPal yesterday, and they made a not of the issue on my account and were looking into it.  I called again today, and they reckon they don't know anything about the issue but will investigate it.  They told me to clear my browser history, which is rubbish, and told me to try a different browser.  None of these ideas work, of course.  So I am left with no answers at all, and it is still costing me money.

WTF PayPal!!??

Login to Me Too

ivanting1989
Contributor
Contributor

Althought I not really know back end coding, but this this should be tested internally i guess?

And this matter should be high priority as not only a few affected, but there is more than thousand.

It already a week and still not fixed. Still waiting for fix so I can send payment.

Login to Me Too

Ukrainian
Contributor
Contributor

@ivanting1989 wrote:

Althought I not really know back end coding, but this this should be tested internally i guess?

Yes. It should be tested rigorously before deployment. But if this have happen they must do everything to mitigate clients' losses. Instead of this looks like PP is happy to see that sudden rain of money from clients' pockets. They are playing fools not recognizing the problem and blaming cookies, browsers, clients, banks - anyone, except themselves.

Login to Me Too

mikrob
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue and the same expirience so far (i was "robbed" by paypal exchange rate, I called customer service - they said they don't know about the issue but if enough people call (!!!) they will investigate, also fed me the same useless suggestions about the browser cookies etc)

I will try calling again.

Since it is a dirty trick - you select "convert with a card issuer" and paypal changes it back to "convert to paypal"  it smells like a class-action to me...

Login to Me Too

ConceArielChile
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I greet you from Chile.

I made a payment 2 weeks ago and I had no problems, but I tried to make a payment the day before yesterday and there was exactly the same problem when converting USD to euros.
I have been reading other post and I have realized that this problem has been coming for several months, in different countries and there is no signs of a solution.

Login to Me Too

Ukrainian
Contributor
Contributor

@mikrob wrote:

I have the same issue and the same expirience so far (i was "robbed" by paypal exchange rate, I called customer service - they said they don't know about the issue but if enough people call (!!!) they will investigate, also fed me the same useless suggestions about the browser cookies etc)

I will try calling again.

Since it is a dirty trick - you select "convert with a card issuer" and paypal changes it back to "convert to paypal"  it smells like a class-action to me...

I think this company have irrevocably destroyed it's business reputation and client's trust. It is not acceptable to behave like this, not even do some notification on the web-site nor sending out alarm emails. That's a pure mass robbery.

"said they don't know about the issue but if enough people call (!!!) they will investigate" - that's crazy.

Clients will never forgive such treatment.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.