Donating anonymously with Ko-Fi?

m0mby
Contributor
Contributor

I'm interested in sending some of my Tumblr mutuals a little money through their Ko-fi accounts, and I'd like access to the extra things they're offering donors so I also want to tie my Tumblr username to my donation. But I'm very private about my actual identity on social media and I'm concerned that, with the transaction going through Paypal, at some point the recipient will be able to see my full name - either through Ko-fi or when Paypal moves the money from my Paypal account to theirs. Will any of my personal info appear in their Paypal transaction records or even bank statements?

Could someone who has used Ko-fi clue me in to whether this is something to worry about, and what info about a donor actually shows up at each point of the process? And additonally, if there's anything I can do with my Paypal settings to protect my privacy?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

amlynn
New Community Member

Paypal shares your name and email address when it rejects Ko-fi funds. As far as I see, PP always rejects payments coming through Ko-fi. That means they'll email your personal information to each person who attempts to give you money through Tumblr. So, yes, it's a possibility.

To protect your privacy, you can either use an email address and name that you don't mind sharing (potentially breaking PP's terms of service) or risk setting up a business account. Based on my experiences (in the US) with how little protection is on business information and how easily personal information can be tracked through a business's public records, I wonder how much that would help if your concern is about doxxing or stalkers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.