Can I test my account by making a payment to myself?

GottaGetAnAnswe
Contributor
Contributor

I had an urgent need to accept PayPal payments for an event I'm "selling" so rather than set up a new business PayPal account, I just converted my current personal one to Business.

I then went to my Constant Contact test invitation (which I had sent to myself to see how it looked when received) and continued with the registration process to see how/if the PayPal portion of registration operated smoothly.

For some reason, when I go to my PayPal transaction/Recent Activity page, it DOES show my purchase, but under the name of the purchase it says "Unclaimed".

What do I have to do to make the payment "go through"?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

What works best should you want to run a live test on your account is to have a friend or family member go through the checkout process - you can sit with them and observe all the steps and then from your account side look at your transaction history and even go through the refund steps.  This method is is better because it's not your email address or credit card as you may already have this info linked to your account. 

The "unclaimed" status can appear for various reasons - for example the account may not have confirmed the linked bank account, or the email address is incorrect or not confirmed yet.  (As for reviewing someone's account setup, it' not possible to do via the community forum, here we can only make suggestions and/or assumptions based on past experience.)

If your payment is unclaimed/pending for 30 days or your payment was denied or refunded, you’ll get your money back.  If you paid with your debit or credit card, the money will go back to your card. (It can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement.)  If you paid with your PayPal balance or bank account, the money will be returned to your PayPal balance.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

What works best should you want to run a live test on your account is to have a friend or family member go through the checkout process - you can sit with them and observe all the steps and then from your account side look at your transaction history and even go through the refund steps.  This method is is better because it's not your email address or credit card as you may already have this info linked to your account. 

The "unclaimed" status can appear for various reasons - for example the account may not have confirmed the linked bank account, or the email address is incorrect or not confirmed yet.  (As for reviewing someone's account setup, it' not possible to do via the community forum, here we can only make suggestions and/or assumptions based on past experience.)

If your payment is unclaimed/pending for 30 days or your payment was denied or refunded, you’ll get your money back.  If you paid with your debit or credit card, the money will go back to your card. (It can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement.)  If you paid with your PayPal balance or bank account, the money will be returned to your PayPal balance.

Login to Me Too

GottaGetAnAnswe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Snow-Cat.

Your first hunch/tip was bang on! When I tried to "pay myself" the checkout utility I was using realized I was logging into the PayPal account of the seller.......ALSO ME.....which the system didn't like.

We'll try it with a different one of our partner's accounts. Thanks again!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.