paypal payment. fruemds and family. i nees help

pavgou12
Contributor
Contributor
Hello . okay so the situation is I had found something i wanted to buy from a guy on instagram he had great deals and seemed like an honest guy . he told me to send the money friends and family so he wouldn't get charged fees so I did. Trusting him . as soon as I sent the money to him he never answerd me and I'm pretty sure he's not sending me my item I bought off him off instagram because I havnt gotten a tracking number or anything . is there any way I can get my money back from him ...... I used a debit card to make the purchase also because I didn't have money in my paypal so I don't know if that can help at all . can anyone give me some answers please thank you
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pavgou12

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as you are complicit in enabling the seller to evade his paypal fees and negating your buyer protection at the same time.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you. However they may not as it was not a payment for a purchase.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pavgou12
Contributor
Contributor
So paypal can do nothing for me ?? That's not right but I learned a lesson I guess. So if I contact my card holder or bank and tell them what happend will they get the money back from him or just temporarily refund me my money . ?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.