Temporary hold help please

blighty
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya

Newbie here..

I ordered something from a store 12 days ago. All been paid for by a bank transfer (I used a debit card) and the funds had cleared my end no probs some days ago.

I returned the item, and was refunded by the store yesterday. It has been placed on temporary hold. Now I understand why temp hold is put on place when things are refunded too quickly and paypal has to make sure that I actually paid for an item, but why is there a hold now when the item was paid some days ago?  Is it the store who are having problems with money their end?

Many thanks in advance from this thicko for all your help!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From the FAQs:  (as you can see, can be different reasons)

When a temporary hold is placed on a payment, the payment is delayed. The money is not available to the person who sent the payment or the person who is receiving the payment.
In deciding whether to apply payment holds, PayPal reviews many factors including:

• Account tenure
  • Transaction activity
  • Business type
  • Past customer disputes
  • Overall customer satisfaction

Holds are typically placed on:

• New sellers or sellers who have limited selling activity - until they build up a history of successful transactions
  • Merchants selling in higher-risk categories like electronics or tickets, where we see higher levels of chargebacks and disputes
  • Sellers who have performance issues, or a high rate of buyer dissatisfaction or disputes

If you're a new seller, your payments may be delayed by up to 21 days so that we can make sure your buyer is satisfied with their purchase. You can often get your payments sooner if you provide us with an online tracking number that confirms delivery of your item.

Login to Me Too

blighty
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to you! I am quite shocked that this has happened, as is a big online store. I won't order from them again!

Login to Me Too

bpitts
New Community Member

I think it **bleep** that they have taken the funds out of my bank, and this was done days ago and now I also have a hold on my refund even though the seller has approved it! I am seriously considering canceling my account. As soon as the hold is lifted, I AM DONE WITH PAYPAL!

Login to Me Too

4brenda
Contributor
Contributor

I believe paypal makes interest on all held payments, I cannot see why else they would do it.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

If the seller's PayPal balance is not sufficient to cover the refund amount, the refund will be a bank account funded refund which takes several business days to clear... it's similar to an eCheck payment.

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

blighty
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to you too! Cheers - I must admit, I've not experienced this before with a store (out of ebay). Poor customer services I think! Anyway, appreciate the time taken out to reply Robot Happy

Login to Me Too

jake007

the explanation I have heard is that there was not enough funds in the paypal account, and they must take the refund payment out of the sellers bank account and that can cause a delay. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.