PayPal has placed a temporary hold while we're reviewing it.

Hi, 

I bought by mistake a item on ebay, ive contacted the seller and explained my mistake, he was happy to cancel the sell so i cancelled the payment on ebay and paypal. 

the money has been withdrawn from my bank account, has been thru paypal, has been refund to me on my paypal account but now its on PLACED 

Status:   Placed   PayPal has placed a temporary hold while we're reviewing it. We'll contact you shortly with further information.

whats the next step ? why paypal is holdding my money when both side have agreed the  cancelation  ?

PayPal has placed a temporary hold while we're reviewing it. We'll contact you shortly with further information.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There is no next step except to wait for the funds to be released.  Transaction holds can be for various reasons, for example, the seller may be new or has history of disputes, claims or refunds.  It's not unusual for these things to happen.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dustin

Hi embarbe_charles,

Sounds like you sent an Instant Transfer payment and the seller refunded before the money cleared from your bank account. When you use Instant Transfer as a funding method, PayPal performs a service on your behalf. We send the funds up front immediately, like a credit, to your seller while we wait for the arrival of the funds from your bank. That way, your seller can begin filling your order without the delay of waiting for the funds to clear. If an eCheck were used as the funding method, the seller would not receive the funds until they finished clearing from your bank through the ACH process.

If a seller issues a refund right away on an Instant Transfer payment they are refunding the credit PayPal sent on your behalf since your money has not finished transferring from your bank. The refunded credit goes back to PayPal. Your funds will be available in your PayPal account balance once they arrive from your bank account. That is typically 3-5 business days from when the transaction was initiated for US accounts, with varying time frames for other countries.

- Dustin

Login to Me Too

loloinyong
Contributor
Contributor
I have contacted to my buyer happy1215 that we agreed that I partially refund her payment the half of $135 what should I do next ?pls respond
Login to Me Too

tiffysmomny
Contributor
Contributor

It's a bunch of hooey my bank told me that if money is requested on an account and its electronic its automatic and when the transaction is done it shows up on my statement. If the transation is not complete it will not show on my statement if te bank has not given the money and the money was not received. This is a very respected and well known bank. The woman in the bank said that she does not understand why PayPal is giving me a runaround about my money. Then PayPal gives you a speech about, the Feeral Reserve processing your money, really? how awful is that, they better stop all the smoke and mirrors and be the site that they are supposed to be. I am sick and tired of sites that become famous and their customers suffer after that. Just because, they become big time.

Login to Me Too

10schica
Contributor
Contributor

There is something that many people don't know about banks and other financial institutions. Their processing time most likely is padded a little to hold your money and use it to get interest on it (to benefit the bank or Paypal in this case).

Just think about. If you have thousands of small transactions (total amount could be pretty big)  in process that you can hold for an additional 24-48 hours. They have the option of putting that money in a very short time interest earning transaction that could make them a lot of money that goes to their bottom line.

All this talk about processing time and the Federal Reserve Bank is BS. I called and asked a temporary hold on my refund (which is technically on hold until the original payment clears - it did 2 days ago). The customer rep was a little robot repeating the processing time line but she really did not know. Have to wait until Friday before I get into an argument with them.

Not impressed with their customer service.

Login to Me Too

60ten

This happened to me, as I mistakenly sent a payment under the 'goods and services' category. It was refunded to me in minutes. I saw the refund was PLACED and later ACCEPTED. Because I never saw a pending charge in my Checking acct, I sent the money again not realizing it would take the same large amount out of my checking. This, later I found out, was due to the Temporary Hold.

This resulted in multiple confusing pending charges in my Checking Acct, days later, including a pending NSF fee in my savings account (which was never supposed to be connected to paypal at all).  6 days later, I received the original refund into my paypay Acct.  I then received an email 5 days later saying Paypal would try again in 3 days...most likely resulting in another NSF fee.

Is there any way I can get back the original $37.50 and avoid the potential second NSF?

Is there anyway Paypal can make things a little less confusing? (yes)

Is there anyway PayPal can notifiy customers AT TIME OF TRANSACTION that things would take 7-10 days to receive the refund? (yes) 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.