How to dispute a claim made against me when the good was intangible/digital?

pattyperk

I recently edited some videos for a guy, and recieved $50 in return. He sent the money via friends and family, to avoid any fees. Now he is trying to get his money back, claiming it was an "unauthorized payment". The only proof I have of his authorization is a few messages exchanged on Kik. Is this enough evidence to dispute his claim? What are the steps I should take to ensure that I retain my money? Also, if I end up having to refund him, does paypal charge me $20 for each transaction? There were 2 transactions and I'd probably go into paypal debt. Where do I go from here?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

1. You can't file a dispute if he paid via family and friends BUT if he has filed a chargeback directly via his credit card company then he may win.

2. If however he filed unauthorised payment rather than a chargeback then that means his paypal account was hacked and used without his consent so paypal will investigate to see if that was true.

3. You are not allowed to sell using family and friends so if paypal know you are selling and accepting gift payments your account may be limited so be careful.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.