Create a PayPal button for someone ELSE's website

NMBob
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I'm creating a website for a club and they want a "pay membership" button on the website. They have a PayPal business account, but they shouldn't be giving me access to their PayPal account to make a 'pay now' button, should they? How do I create a button for their website without access to their PayPal account? I found the point and click button builder that didn't require me to even log in, but at the end of that is a little note saying people will only be able to pay if they have a PayPal account. They want the people to also be able to use their own credit card without a PayPal account. Maybe I missed a check box? I can find all kinds of info on adding a button to YOUR website with YOUR PayPal account, but that's not exactly what this situation is. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Since they have a Business Account, one option is for them to grant you access to their account.  There's a feature called Multi-User Access - the owner of the Business Account adds you to the User List, they can then create a User ID and Password for you - the User ID is "not" an email address and you cannot change the Password they assign nor the User ID - only the account owner can do that.   Once that info is setup, the account owner can then assign specific permissions to your User ID which will limit your access to their account.  There's more detailed info here.

After you have the User ID and Password, you can simply login to PayPal using that info and will be redirected to their account.

Note, this method is better for the folks you're trying to help because the item button code you create for them will stored on the PayPal servers making it more secure and will also be saved under My Saved Buttons.  

Note, you can manually create the code they need and simply include their email address or Merchant ID in the "business" variable value however, the code is basically clear text and less secure as it's possible for someone to edit or change the code - especially the amount value.

Login to Me Too

NMBob
Contributor
Contributor

Hi GreenGear!

Ohhhh. Completely missed the "guest" login setup/access stuff. Now it all makes sense. In reality I'm really a member of the club I'm making the site for, so I just have full access to the account, but this will be valuable if the site is passed to a non-member. I still feel funny when I log in to make a button and can do anything I want. Too bad the balance is just my $20 membership, and a couple $1 transactions I did for testing. 🙂 There were about 25 saved buttons from other developers which I just whacked yesterday. Now we are back down to just the two we need. You are right about the login text in the HTML. The buttons are saved here. It looks like it's all working out well. We sponsor a star party in the fall and all of this will come up again for the registration, but it will basically be the same as this membership mechanism. Thanks!

Bob

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Thank you, good to hear.  Sometimes things like this are a challenge to explain but, I think that you're totally on track !  Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.