using PayPal with a newly incorporated business abroad

Bob4096
Contributor
Contributor

I am American citizen planning on opening a business office in New Zealand, and I want to open a PayPal account for the new corp.  Everything I read about though are horror stories about PayPal locking down accounts and taking people's money.  I've conducted business for my Wyoming corp here in the states for 11 years now, with a stellar history, no chargebacks, no disputes, etc.  What I'm wondering is if when I create the foreign corp what pitfalls am I looking at?  I understand PP may be locking the business accounts if the business itself fails a credit check, as any new corp WOULD.  I'm willing to give PP my SSN if they want to do a credit check on me, but I will be a US resident, not a resident of NZ.  So can anyone advise me how this could work?  Depending on what my CPA says, I want to move with our business plan this first quarter, but PP is a critical piece of it, as 100% of my business income flows through this service.  Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

HennesJean
Contributor
Contributor

hi! ofcourse, I get you dont want to become on of the horror stories. i never had such a problem; best thing to do is to let your PayPal account check BEFORE you receive money. Open the account in NZ, and directly ask to lift all your limits. Tell them your business purposes and what you are going to use your pp-account for.

because is it NZ, they probably have different checks and your SSN would not be very helpfull.

Also, PayPal NZ is very different then our paypal, so check all the options and costs that might be involved!

Great opportunity, you are moving there as well?

Login to Me Too

Bob4096
Contributor
Contributor

Down the road that is entirely a possibility, but there are some great tax advantages to operating a business there prior to adjusting my citizenship or residency status ( and then a tax holiday after you do ).  I want to restructure my business to be more profitable if I can, but it requires PP work for a newly formed corp in NZ and me not have to be a NZ resident.  My CPA is checking with the IRS, and depending on what they say I'll proceed from there.  I don't know why it shouldn't work.  Something I read about why a SSN is requested by PP - having to do with changes made after 9-11 where they wanted to know exactly who is tied to a corporate account.  I have no problem with that, I just want to know that PP isn't going to give me grief.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.