What's "Code Protection"

grafixtudio
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have a lot of  products with similar characteristics. I can create "add to cart buttons" using Paypal's button builder but that means to create a lot of them with just little differences.

If I uncheck the button "Save it at PayPal" while creating the button, my code will be changed to "clear text" and it's gonna be easy to edit the HTML code in my website to modify just the name of my other items, but I'm worried about the "Remove Code Protection" thing that I read will happen If I do this.

Does it mean that I'll be vulnerable to some hacker or witty customer with unwanted changes ?

Thanks

Marco

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Many folks use "non-hosted" or clear text code with no issues.  Yes, it is possible to tweak the code however, you as the seller always have the final say in the transaction.  If you see an issue, you cancel the transaction.  We do a lot of scripting with our code as that type of code cannot be stored on PayPal's servers therefore our code is non-hosted.  Never had an issue.

As for "hosted" or "encrypted", both are less likely to be tampered with.  With "hosted" code, specific variables are stored on PayPal's servers and with "encryped" code, you control the encryption and key.  The drawback is not being able to customize or include scripting.

Technically you're more vulnerable to scammers simply filing disputes and chargebacks than you are to people tweaking your code.  Scammers order your items, pay, receive the item and then open a dispute claiming it was an unauthorized transaction or item damaged or not as advertised.  PayPal refunds the money and the bad guy ends up with both the item and the money.  It's not a perfect system. 

The good news is, there's a lot more honest people than not so honest people out there.  Doing business has both risks and rewards.  Don't let the risks keep you up at night.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.