Seller will refund if i ship the item back.. but I never recieved the item. Do I ship nothing back?

PeteM1231
Contributor
Contributor

1. Ordered a small item from Aliexpress

2. They sent me an empty carton/blister pack- I have photos of the thing outside the post office when I picked it up.

3. Their "help" said to confirm receipt of goods to open a dispute

4. I did what they said and their reply was .. now I have confirmed receipt I couldn't complain about an empty package.. tough luck

5. So obviously that is majorly scammy so I go to Paypal.. because that's what it's here for

6. Now paypal/aliexpress resolution is for a full refund ONCE I RETURN THE ITEM??? .. while the whole problem is I only ever got an empty blister pack

7. So what do I do.. ship back an empty blister pack? Are they going to pay for shipping?

8. Is Aliexpress going to get the empty carton after I have paid for shipping and then deny the refund because I sent them back the empty carton they sent me?

What do I do?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PeteM1231 

Did you open a Paypal dispute for item received but not as described ie empty packet?

If so then put in all the details and escalate to a claim.

If paypal find in your favour then they normally ask you to return the 'item' and provide trackable proof of delivery to get a refund. Return postage would be at your own expense unfortunately. So if they asked that you would ship back what you received ....trackable !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PeteM1231
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah that's what I did.

I guess I can ship back the empty carton.

I did choose that no I was not willing to do return shipping (of a piece of empty cardboard), but Paypal decided against that.

So I looked it up and the return shipping for the empty container from Australia is more than the refund I would get. Great.

Even if I sent the empty container back are Aliexpress actually required to pay through Paypal? No doubt they'd open the package at the other end.. see the empty carton they sent me and then just refuse to refund through Paypal because I didn't return the actual item (that they never sent me). Should I waste money sending it back just to see what happens?

I guess 'technically' Paypal offers buyer protection for cheap items, but in practice this 'fee' for returns means they don't. It just enables scam companies like Aliexpress. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks for clarifying though mate.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.