Negative balance

Krissyjay
Contributor
Contributor
Hello first time user here. I paid for a airbnb stay using PayPal. This transaction was paid in two payments the final payment was February 29th 2020. I just notice today March 10,2020 that I have a negative balance with paypal due to that payment not going through. I am confused as there was suffient funds to cover the payment. Today at noon I checked my bank account and it was debited the exact amount that was owed today March 10, 2020. I recently checked again and paypal is still saying I have a negative balance. When transactions are being paid through paypal does it usually go through if there isnt sufficient funds? I don't usually keep funds in my paypal account as its connected directly to my bank account. What should I do in this matter regarding the negative balance. Thank you.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Krissyjay 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant, that is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again, this is so you get your item without delay.

BUT if you are adding funds yourself OR paypal are taking them to clear a negative balance then this time its you that takes the wait.

Takes several working days to transfer as Paypal use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option.
If it fails then make sure your bank account is still linked to your paypal account and the debit mandate set up on your bank online details.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Krissyjay 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant, that is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again, this is so you get your item without delay.

BUT if you are adding funds yourself OR paypal are taking them to clear a negative balance then this time its you that takes the wait.

Takes several working days to transfer as Paypal use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option.
If it fails then make sure your bank account is still linked to your paypal account and the debit mandate set up on your bank online details.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

WyomingGrizFan
Contributor
Contributor

I'm just trying to pay off a negative balance with a credit card and paypal doesn't do anything.  When I get to the page 'Add money to resolve your negative balance' all it does is freeze up!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WyomingGrizFan 

You can't add funds to a paypal account via a debit or credit card, only via a linked bank account.

Ways to clear a negative balance.

1. Transfer funds from your bank account via the add funds function.

2. The quickest and easiest way is to get a mate or family member to send a payment via the friends / family option. As long as they don't fund it with a card it should be free.

3. Via a card over the phone with paypal.

4. Or mail a cheque as per link.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-should-i-do-if-my-balance-is-negative-faq1905?app=s...

5. Buy something and Paypal will normally add the debt to that payment during checkout when you authorise the purchase.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Agak1
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same issue. Everything was collected from my bank but for some reason my balance is negative -40£. After 2 months it's still not solved. They just send me from one agent to another. Some say it is technical issue but they cannot help me
Login to Me Too

DanniLisa
Contributor
Contributor
I'm currently having the exact same issue my account is saying that I'm negative $55.10 but I can see paypal took money out of my account on Thursday (it's now Saturday) does anyone know how to contact paypal regarding this issue? There's nothing in the resolution centre for me to lodge. I'm so confused and because of it, it's not allowing me to buy anything at the moment using my paypal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DanniLisa 

Payment goes via echeque so allow 5-7 days before it hits your paypal balance and negates the neg balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DanniLisa
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the information
Login to Me Too

fdkt
Contributor
Contributor

@DanniLisa 

Did you have your problem solved?

I have the sane issue as yours and I was wondering if negative balance notification eventually disappeared.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Login to Me Too

marz6
Contributor
Contributor

same with me, they took it 3 times but it still says negative. Did you ever resolve this issue?? If so, I would really like to know how

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.