Why is PayPal making it hard to cancel a subscription?

SRD
Contributor
Contributor

A few years ago, every subscription you entered into with a merchant would add a transaction to your Activity. On this transaction was a link to cancel your subscription if you wished to cancel it.

Today, signing up for a monthly subscription to some software I only wanted to use a couple of times, the transaction detail page (https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/activities/details/xxxx)  has no such "subscription details" link where I can cancel the subscription.

I know this transaction is a subscription because PayPal said so in the email they sent me:

Your automatic payment details...
Amount to be paid each time
$x USD
Billing cycle
Monthly

Finding the right page to list all current subscriptions has always been a chore.

In a separate business account, clicking the settings cog at the top right was the first place to get to Subscriptions, but in my personal account, this cog takes me to Account, which has no link to subscriptions, but does have a Payments page that might be it, but that has no Subscriptions subpage, only Automatic Payments which is also not the right page.

I can go back to the Activity page, but the transaction detail page has no link to the individual subscription.

That email that PayPal sent has no link to the individual subscription, nor a link to manage my subscriptions (which would definitely be helpful).

Why is PayPal making it hard to cancel a subscription these days?

Could it possibly be to maximise profit by reducing customer convenience?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SRD 

Its under automatic payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SRD 

Its under automatic payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SRD
Contributor
Contributor

You're right.

Would be really helpful for customers if there was a way to sort automatic payments by 'most recent' so you don't have to scroll through a lot of merchants, & also link to the subscription both in the transaction inside Activity, and in the email the customer receives.

(but this will never be done)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.