Sending one off payment - Paypal not honouring non-direct currency conversion

psychopomp1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have a UK Paypal account (personal). I'm trying to pay a US based retailer (Globalshopaholics) in USD since my UK credit & debit cards all charge 0% forex commission. When I login to paypal, paypal auto defaults to their direct currency conversion option, ie does the USD > GBP conversion for me at a terrible rate. So I click on "currency option" and then select "pay in USD".....but then paypal still shows the amount in GBP despite clicking on "pay in USD". So it seems there's no way to switch off direct currency conversion. But here's the bizarrre thing: if i buy from different US based retailers offering paypal as a payment method (eg ebay USA) then I am able to pay in USD on paypal using my UK issued cards. So why would Paypal force me to use their currency conversion on a particular website but not on others? Also, i should state this issue only started happening in  the last 6 months or so - previously i was able to successfully pay in USD on the website concerned.

Cheers

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.