Sending money from PayPal to Venmo

gorans
Contributor
Contributor

is it possible to send money from my PayPal account to someone's Venmo account?

They don't have the PayPal account, they only gave me their phone number that is linked to their Venmo account.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Not directly. Transfer your PayPal funds over to your checking account; attach the same checking account to your Venmo account and then pull the funds from attached checking account on the Venmo side to pay your recipient.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
61 REPLIES 61
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Not directly. Transfer your PayPal funds over to your checking account; attach the same checking account to your Venmo account and then pull the funds from attached checking account on the Venmo side to pay your recipient.

Login to Me Too

Kikita
Contributor
Contributor

So basically I have to also have a Venmo account, right?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kikita wrote:

So basically I have to also have a Venmo account, right?

Yep, if you want to move funds between PayPal and Venmo by way of a common bank account.  Or get a PayPal Debit Mastercard and add it to Venmo and use it to pay and funds will be deducted from your PayPal account.

If you want to pay with your Venmo account via PayPal checkout, you can do that too now as it is a new feature PayPal started not too long ago, instead of moving money around.

Login to Me Too

meeking
Contributor
Contributor

I think the answerer misunderstood the question. I thought the question asked was can Person A, who has Paypal, pay Person B, who has Venmo. If that's the case, the true answer seems to be No (directly or indirectly). But Person A could get Venmo to pay Person B. (Which I think really stinks that you have to get another app (Venmo)...owned by the app you already have (Paypal)...to do something the app you already have does. Paypal, please make your kids play together nicely!! Pleeeeeeease.

Login to Me Too

SWLinPHX
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you understood correctly meeking.  I'm sure if they haven't already PayPal (the mother company) will include a link to SEND MONEY TO A VENMO USER on their money page or where it says SEND MONEY TO FRIENDS OR FAMILY.  Then you could add their Venmo user name or phone number.  But yes for now, you need to have a Venmo account too.  I also have a PayPal debit card but they charge you to use it (to "load it" by downloading money from your PayPal account to use it for payments and to use it to withdraw from your PayPal balance using an ATM.

Login to Me Too

owengall
New Community Member
Totally. I don’t get why PayPal Inc did this. Venmo is just a branch off PayPal: easier (...and more social they say. hm. And I have accounts in both.) for a specific type of transaction, but doesn’t support as much— so why can’t they be different interfaces for the same user account? Extra revenue by being confusing/redundant? Is that it? I get that Venmo appeals to a different demographic, but that doesn’t mean they have to be different accounts to me. I’m curious if PayPal plans to merge them at some point
Login to Me Too

mikeinsancarlos
Contributor
Contributor

especially when Venmo doesn't let you make payments thru their website anymore, you have to use the app. To use the app you have to have iOS 11 on an iPhone, so that leaves people with iPhone 5's outta luck.

Login to Me Too

Gen-Xer

I think it will be easier if i just send them a check. o.0

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.