Refund when you don't have a paypal account?

KJRann1
New Community Member

My husband made a Paypal payment for an item (not for eBay) before Christmas but they now need to refund him.  They have advised they can only process the refund via Paypal but he does not have a Paypal account.  I have a Paypal account that we both use, predominantly for eBay buying/selling and it has my husband's credit card as the default payment source but the payment does not show on my Paypal account so it must have been a guest Paypal function payment?  They have advised they can only refund to the email address used to make the original purchase which is my husband's email, not mine (even though it has his credit card on the account).

He doesn't want to open a Paypal account just to get the credit - is this a common practice?  Any idea how we resolve it?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KJRann1 

If you paid via a card using the guest option then any refund would automatically go back to the card you used to fund the purchase.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

redrory
New Community Member

I have the same problem.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ayesha

Hello @KJRann1 and @redrory,

Welcome to PayPal Community Forum and thank you for posting!

I understand that you're expecting a refund from the merchant. Yes @kernowlass is right. All refunds will be sent back to the payment method of your original payment. Here's the Help Center Article to know more about the Refunds. If you have made the payment using guest checkout, the merchant will only get an option to refund the money to the same payment method. In this case, if you do not get the refund after the given period of time as mentioned in Help Center article, you would have to contact our Customer Support Team through the available contact options on our website as your spouse doesn't want to create an account so that our concerned team can help you to report the purchase to get refund.

Regards,
Ayesha

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.