Payments and holds

Paigebe
New Community Member

Paypal placed holds on my funds received under the category for payment of goods or services, however, the funds sent to me and received were not for payment of goods or services.  I have since discovered that this "payor" deliberately sends payment under that category knowing a hold will be placed on the funds for 21 days and he knows there will be no shipping tracking information for me to submit to paypal so I can get my money sooner than 21 days, and he knows he is the only person who can cause for a release on a hold by submitting a confirmation of receipt of so called goods or services.  So it appears I have no choice but to wait out the 21 days.  Questions:  1) How does this benefit a payor who is not actually purchasing goods?  2) I understand paypal has this 21 day hold policy to "protect buyers and sellers".  How does this protect a seller or recipient of payment?  3) What protection or recourse does a recipient of funds that have been placed on hold under this deceitful way to do business have?  4)  During this 21 day hold period, is the payor able to access the funds and take funds back?  5)  If my account is showing a payment has been received and is placed on hold, were the funds actually received by and in the possession of paypal - are the funds actually there, or paidf?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Paigebe 

Well if you were not selling goods or services then the only other option was via friends / family.

So was it a member of your family or a friend sending you a gift of money? If not then you would have received it as goods / services and been subject to the new seller hold.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/my-payment-is-on-hold.-why-is-this-happening-faq3297

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.