Payment declined but purchase was still made

BluetheNerd
New Community Member

I accidentally made a payment to Steam while trying to look at payment options (it was set to automatic payment) however my bank card declined, understandably I don't have the money in my account. But the purchase was still completed on Steam? So now I have a payment on my paypal, the product on Steam, and a declined card. What happens now I can't pay off the paypal amount. I don't have an option to cancel the payment, but my card declined. How long do I have to pay off the payment? I don't get paid til the end of the month. Have been googling this issue but cannot find anyone having the same issue.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Temp20230828d
Contributor
Contributor

My Amex declined purchase request in the amount exceeding four thousand dollars.  This was due to a large purchase i would have to pre approve transaction.  PayPal decided to process transaction despite Amex decline.  Then PayPal arbitrarily charged it to my business bank account.  then charged it to my PayPal credit.  I did not authorize neither.  The transaction should have terminated with the Amex Decline.  BEWARE!! if you have multiple cards and or bank accounts linked to Paypal  they will attempt to claw money without your authorization.  I NEVER asked PayPal to front me four grand.  After repeated calls about the matter they just listen to my rant and offer not valid or acceptable reason for this policy.  When a transaction gets declined the transaction has ended. FYI PayPal will not reimburse you for overdraft fees incurred due to their UNAUTHORIZED transaction....BEWARE of PayPal.  If you do use it DO NOT attach more than one (1) card or bank account this will prevent them from rifling through your cards/bank accounts

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Welcome everyone! Thanks for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear a recent payment hasn't gone quite as you had expected. 

@BluetheNerd, here's a Help Center article on What you should do if your balance is negative. If you're looking to resolve the negative balance by the end of this month, you should be good to go. However, you're welcome to reach out to our Customer Support teams if you have any other questions. I hope that helps!

@Temp20230828d, that certainly sounds like a complex and very frustrating situation. Normally, if a transaction starts with a debit or credit card as it's funding source, and we receive a decline from that source, the transaction is declined. 

However, if it starts with a bank account, and we receive a decline from the bank, PayPal will try the backup funding source, which in your case sounds like it was the AMEX. Then, if the AMEX was declined, we may have attempted your bank again before taking your PayPal balance negative - however we would never have touched your PayPal Credit in that transaction since it would not have been an authorized backup funding source. Perhaps your negative balance was resolved on the next transaction which may have been charged by your PayPal Credit? If you would like, our Customer Support can review the timeline with you. Unfortunately, yes, it is correct we do not reimburse NSF fees in these situations. 

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused to you both. Best wishes on your future transactions with PayPal!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.