Obscure custom fees, how to get a refund?

Metallus91
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I've recently purchased an item from the UK on ebay. Typically there's always stated whether there are extra fees or taxes to pay (with an estimate amount), so that I know, but on this one the information was a bit obscure and I only found out when I went to pick up the package. 

I paid 310€ for the item (a boat model), + 50€ of shipping (quite overpriced, considering I usually spend 15€ max), and when today I went to the PO, I found the surprise: 71€ of customs to pay. I refused pay as I've already spent a lot of extra, and left the item at the PO.

Now, how can I proceed? I do not intend to spend an extra 71€ on the item, especially when it wasn't clear. I've ordered from abroad several times without ever having this kind of issue. If there are customs fees, they are usually well written and I can pay for them in advance, but for this item I was never notified of anything and only found out when the item arrived.

Can I get a full refund if I return the item? I already contacted the seller, explaining to them the situation, but in the meanwhile I'd like to ask if paypal will help me through this with the refund (item + shipping). Also, how to avoid these nasty surprises in the future? Shouldn't they tell me, at any point during or after the purchase, that I have extras to pay before sending out the package and just notifying me of the surprise at the end?

Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Metallus91 

Any customs import charges are between you and your government and nothing to do with the seller.

A seller can't know if your country is going to charge you an import fee or what it will be.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.