Money received from someone I don’t know

nesscan
New Community Member

I received $800 from someone I don’t know. The status said it’s completed. What do I do?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nesscan 

Sometimes this happens if a sender makes a spelling error with the email address and the funds go to someone else by mistake.

The easiest thing would be to click on the transaction and using the refund option bottom of that details page issue a refund and send it back to them.

Firstly however check if you were charged a fee to receive the payment. Then I would contact the email address on that details page and find out if it was an error and then offer a refund. If you were charged a fee then tell them that you are happy to issue a part refund (minus the fee element) as it was their error. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

James-adrian

A few times, I've experienced similar situations. What I did was reach out to PayPal, as they are very attentive and supportive of their customers. After contacting on through Lite Blue USPS, I was able to issue a refund quite easily. I suggest you follow the same process as I did.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@James-adrian 

What does your lite blue link have anything to do with paypal and refunds???

The original poster can easily refund themselves without having to contact paypal but if they want to contact paypal they use help/contact bottom of paypal pages.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.