Can PayPal add to the amount after I paid without my consent?

Suzie49
Contributor
Contributor

I made a purchase today via paypal and I authorized the payment of $31.67 but my receipt shows I paid $38.00. The difference was for tax but that charge was not there when I paid. Can Paypal add to the amount I paid without my consent?  I would not agree to pay $6.33 tax for an item that costs (before shipping) $24.99 but my issue is how can I be charged by PayPal for more than I authorized?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Windshadow
Contributor
Contributor
When you do a paypal transaction and you log on you chose how to pay & PP returns you to the merchant site, then & only then are you finalizing your payment amount$$ when you hit submit order. Your final amount, taxes & ship are included on the merchant final place order page ( If you didn't pay attention & hit submit) (When the merchant sent you to login at PayPal you were only authorizing PP to pay the merchant for the sale the amount is not set until returned to the merchant you tap the place order button.at the merchant when you left PP, The amount is shown then is what you pay in total. You are doing a 3 step transaction 1. Cart total( merchant site) 2. PayPal Authorization( P.P.) 3. Submit order(Merchant Site) (Shows order total before you submit) Best Wishes
Login to Me Too

Suzie49
Contributor
Contributor

When I clicked on Submit the amount shown was for the item plus shipping and nothing else.  I wrote the total shown into my checkbook.  That's why I was surprised when I received an email confirmation from PayPal it was for a higher amount and now it showed that tax had been added.  This is the first time I had seen the tax which by the way, is a crazy 25% amount.  So are you saying that most likely I didn't see something that was there when I clicked on Submit?  I guess I was looking for a definite yes or no as to whether Paypal can add anything to the total after I finished the transaction without my knowledge.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.