Bought CD from Ebay, Also received an unwanted Direct Debit

Mr_Happy1972
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a CD from a seller on from auction on Ebay.  Won the auction and obviously paid the seller.

I checked on my banking app today and noticed the same amount I paid, £13.19, was also going to be paid out on October 2 this year because for some strange reason it was a direct debit!

I emailed the seller who was as confused as I was.

I've cancelled the direct debit using the banking app but my question is...  Whats going on?  Why did that happen?  It's not happened before and I have got LOADS of stuff from Ebay.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mr_Happy1972 

When I click on the direct debit set up on my online banking, it shows paypal and when i click on it it shows the LAST payment that I made to a seller funded via that bank account and also states that Paypal is authorised to take 'varying' amounts when authorised.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mr_Happy1972 

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees).
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal.....its not a regular auto payment.

Sometimes it does not coincide with the date you made the payment as paypal CREDIT the seller in advance and then paypal wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account, they can 'leave' that account at anytime from a few hours up to a few days later. Also the 'amount' can sometimes not be recognised if you used it as a part-payment with the rest coming from funds already in your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Mr_Happy1972
Contributor
Contributor
So basically it's not going to be a regular monthly payment like it looks like on my bank statement?
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mr_Happy1972 

When I click on the direct debit set up on my online banking, it shows paypal and when i click on it it shows the LAST payment that I made to a seller funded via that bank account and also states that Paypal is authorised to take 'varying' amounts when authorised.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.