This Gift Debacle..

MydudeVortexas
Contributor
Contributor

Sent my cousin 20 bucks on Paypal as a gift. He had sent me money previously using his bank account, so I simply sent the money using that information in my paypal. Instead of sending the money to the bank, paypal opted to make him an account using a misspelled e-mail address. This was AFTER they told me it was impossible to stop it while it was still pending...to spite that BEING what pending is for. Anyone have to deal with a simular issue?

Long story short.

Tried to send my cousin a gift. Paypal froze the gift as pending for seven days, then made a FAUX account no one can access, and refuses to communicate with me or give me my money back.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MydudeVortexas,

I'm sorry to hear that an account was created using an incorrectly entered email address. Only information that is entered by either the sender of a payment or the original account owner would be able to be used to create an account. If the information was incorrectly typed by the sender of the payment, it would have to be acknowledged by the recipient and the account would only be created if the recipient accepted the payment, otherwise, it would be unclaimed. 

If the payment is unclaimed, you might see a cancel option listed with the payment on your side. If no cancel option is listed but it's still showing as unclaimed, it will return to you after being unclaimed for 30 days. If the payment has completed, however, then the owner of the receiving account will have received the payment and will be able to either withdraw or refund the payment by logging in to the account. If your cousin was able to log in to send you a payment with that information previously, he just has to log in with the same information.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

MydudeVortexas
Contributor
Contributor

My Cousin sent me money direct from his bank account.

You people opted to make him an account.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MydudeVortexas,

I'm afraid I don't understand how your cousin sent the funds directly from their bank account to your PayPal account without creating a PayPal account. Adding money to an account directly from a bank account is meant only for an accountholder to do from their own bank account. 

If you sent a payment to an email address that was not associated with a PayPal account, it would require the creation of an account to claim the funds. The recipient would have gone through accepting the agreement and acknowledging the creation of the account. If that was not completed, then there is no PayPal account created. If no PayPal account was created, the funds are likely still unclaimed, in which case the information given above would apply.

I'm sorry that there is any confusion and I hope the payment is unclaimed so that it can be returned to you.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.