Refund money is up in the air

Deadceii
Contributor
Contributor
OK so, PayPal has successfully refunded me but credit card hasn't/can't receive it they said. I used MBNA credit card through PayPal to purchase some In game gold. There were some problems so I asked the game company to give me a refund, which I received in my PayPal, but it never went back to my credit card. So refund right now is somewhere in the air between PayPal and MBNA. I've contacted both and MBNA said they can't take refunds for some reason that I never fully understood. Can PayPal add the the refund to my PayPal balance? Or does anybody have any ideas how to move forward with this? Much appreciated
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Meghan

Hi @Deadceii

I'm happy to help! 

When reaching out to Customer Support, I would let them know that you would like help filing a trace on a refund that never reached your financial institution. If you have the date and amount of the original purchase or refund, that will help them find it quickly. When we file a trace, we reach out to your financial institution to check on the payment status. If they tell us the payment reached them, we will email you the trace reference number. If you then take the trace reference number to your financial institution, they will redirect the payment to your bank account. However, if they let us know they cannot accept the refund/deposit it into your account, they will return the payment. We will then deposit it back into your PayPal balance. Based on what you've mentioned from your own research, I suspect that may be what happens this time. 

I hope this helps, and good luck! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

prathik5059
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello, @Deadceii !

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

I want to inform you that if the refund status shows completed on your PayPal account then it means the amount has been processed from the PayPal system. The timeframe has been set by your financial institute where PayPal do not have the privilege to expedite the process. All refunds will be sent back to the payment method of your original payment. If you've used your credit card to complete the transaction, then your refund will go to your credit card. It may take up to 30 days for the refund amount to appear on your card statement. This article will help you provide more information regarding refunds.

I hope this helps!

Prathik5059

Login to Me Too

CB708
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal says they do not give charge back on Amex only visa
Login to Me Too

Deadceii
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh so they don't refund to mastercard?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Deadceii and @CB708

Thanks for reaching out in the Community! 

I apologize for any confusion. PayPal is able to process refunds on American Express and MasterCard, in addition to Visa. Since your refund still isn't showing @Deadceii, I suggest contacting our Customer Support teams for assistance filing a trace. They can be reached on Twitter by sending DM to @AskPayPal or a PM on Facebook by going to facebook.com/PayPal. Support may also be reached by clicking 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. 

I hope this is resolved soon! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Deadceii
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! @PayPal_Meghan , What would be the best word/terms to use to communicate the issue best?

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Meghan

Hi @Deadceii

I'm happy to help! 

When reaching out to Customer Support, I would let them know that you would like help filing a trace on a refund that never reached your financial institution. If you have the date and amount of the original purchase or refund, that will help them find it quickly. When we file a trace, we reach out to your financial institution to check on the payment status. If they tell us the payment reached them, we will email you the trace reference number. If you then take the trace reference number to your financial institution, they will redirect the payment to your bank account. However, if they let us know they cannot accept the refund/deposit it into your account, they will return the payment. We will then deposit it back into your PayPal balance. Based on what you've mentioned from your own research, I suspect that may be what happens this time. 

I hope this helps, and good luck! 

- Meghan

Login to Me Too

Deadceii
Contributor
Contributor

It has been over 60 days since the refund was successful tho

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.